Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mar/April '20 Lite Challenge: The Straights of Skiette

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map Mar/April '20 Lite Challenge: The Straights of Skiette

The wind howled and the wood creaked like it would split apart any second. Lightnings and thunder revealed the grisly old captain for a brief moment, his grey beard wet with sea water yet his gaze remained unwavering. His resolve was as stone. I just hoped our party held the same... But we were the ones that wanted to risk these waters, no needed to. A shout ripped away my attention.
    "Secure them sails! We are entering dangerous waters now!"
    A gasp left my lungs, twice the boat had barely made the crest of a wave and the captain did not say it then...
    I rushed forward, gripping the rope for dear life as the sail strained against the high winds. The boat started pulling to the side as if dragged by a giant hand. It had begun. We had entered into the grip of that monstrous whirlpool. Another flash of light revealed the worry on everyone's face. Then a wall of water struck me, salt stung my eyes as I got flung free of the rope. Chaos swirled in the waters and I frantically clung to my only breath, in a matter of moments I lost track of time and place.
    Grogginess lapped at my face, or was it water? My hands pressed into the sand before a push from water sent me tumbling a few times before the sand met my face in an unwelcome slap. I turned on my back and opened my eyes. There was no ship in sight. Just jagged rocks and a beach. I sat up and saw several crates laying halfway into the water before a groan drew my attention. Off to my left, there was one of my party members. A question marked my lips. "Where are we?"
    I wondered for the briefest of moments if we had somehow made it to those dangerous islands that lay in the grip of the Maw. Whatever the situation, we took the risk for a reason. There is a mystery on these isles that might shine light on our quest, the greatest danger to have come into our simple lives.

-------
    This is something I really want to map. So this challenge kind of fits it perfectly. So our intrepid adventurers sought out a captain to brave the rip currents of a great maelstrom that hung of the edge of the Four Fang Isles. Few, and I mean extremely few ever dare sail even close to those Isles. But the maelstrom wasn't always there, there are a great many mysteries on those isles.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Straights of Skiette_v1.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	6.99 MB 
ID:	120935

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Map The Maelstrom

Hi!

Here is the next step of work on the sea and the maelstrom. The islands are the main focus and that is why the the whirlpool is only partly mapped, if anyone wondered.
    Aside from that, for this map I'm moving more towards a painterly feel for everything.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Straights of Skiette_v2.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.13 MB 
ID:	120951

(It kind of happened accidentally, but I realized it looked like glowing phosphorus in the water and I decided it would be a nice way to show some light deeper into the maelstrom. )

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

A happy accident, very attractive.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Welcome to the Challenge Xcali, The map is looking great, cool backstory!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    A happy accident, very attractive.
    Hehehe. Indeed happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Welcome to the Challenge Xcali, The map is looking great, cool backstory!
    Tx Bogie. Appreciate it. We'll see what direction the rest will go. Talking about backstory, I am creating this map for people to have adventures on, is there anything you'd like to see?

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Now, the coloring was fun. It is quite a change of pace from the maps I normally do. I enjoy changing scenery sometimes. Enjoy.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	The Straights of Skiette_v5.jpeg 
Views:	40 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	120954

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Talking about backstory, I am creating this map for people to have adventures on, is there anything you'd like to see?
    My first thought was that since the maelstrom is relatively new it could be eroding away the foundations of the islands and the tips of the "fangs" could be slowly breaking off. There could be a building or feature on one of the tips that the adventurers need to get to before it is eaten by the maelstrom.
    Last edited by Bogie; 03-20-2020 at 03:29 PM.

There's already so much going on there. And the challenge just started!

I'd like to see some boars, or some other animals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    My first thought was that since the maelstrom is relatively new it could be eroding away the foundations of the islands and the tips of the "fangs" could be slowly breaking off. There could be a building or feature on one of the tips that the adventurers need to get to before it is eaten by the maelstrom.
    Quite the interesting thought, to be sure. I won't make it like the islands are too brittle, I want a lot of them to endure. BUT, I do like the idea of a part of them succumbing to the Maw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisachik the Wanderer View Post
    There's already so much going on there. And the challenge just started!

I'd like to see some boars, or some other animals.
    Hehe, thanks, I was inspired.
    The boars or animals will be interesting. Though, the scale of the map make that somewhat of a challenge. Will think on the how.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19

It kind of bothers me how dark it is – I keep wanting to turn my dark theme off. =D I agree that the West coastlines should show erosion from the Maelstrom, which by the way is looking gorgeous!
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast