Thread: Commission for a Mountain Layer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Commission for a Mountain Layer

So, this is gonna be a weird request but I am working on a 1800s styled map. I am struggling to draw mountains and for my map. I have where they should be and I have the style I want, but no matter what I do, the mountains look bad as I have no pad or no good program (I use paint.net).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Einnor.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	3.32 MB 
ID:	120962

Name:	mountains.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	1,000.5 KB 
ID:	120963

I don't want anything REALLY fancy, merely something like stage two or stage three. Something transparent and black and white. I don't really know how this would work. I am just getting really frustrated with this map and I am struggling with this one little part.

I don't have a lot of money, as I am out of work right now and doing this map for fun while school is out.

Basically, start by drawing a jagged line for the top of the mountains, and then do the lines that spill off one side, just doing jaggy things, and then the lines that spill off the other side (but try to like, have the mountain 'cover' them in places so you get the sense of its height when it cuts them off) and then add a few more jaggy lines, maybe add some darker shading stuff along the top or shadowed side, and then slap in some shading with a fuzzy brush at a high level of opacity.

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadhero.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	120968

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadhero.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	120969

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadherowithoutdarkline.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	120970

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadheroonlylines.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	735.0 KB 
ID:	120971
    Last edited by Tiana; 03-21-2020 at 05:08 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Basically, start by drawing a jagged line for the top of the mountains, and then do the lines that spill off one side, just doing jaggy things, and then the lines that spill off the other side (but try to like, have the mountain 'cover' them in places so you get the sense of its height when it cuts them off) and then add a few more jaggy lines, maybe add some darker shading stuff along the top or shadowed side, and then slap in some shading with a fuzzy brush at a high level of opacity.

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadhero.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	120968

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadhero.png 
Views:	36 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	120969

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadherowithoutdarkline.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	120970

Name:	howtomountainfortrueundeadheroonlylines.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	735.0 KB 
ID:	120971
    OMG! Thank you so much, Tiana! This is so nice! DM an invoice and I will see if I have the money, I should be expecting my last paycheck soon, hopefully.

Thanks, TrueUndeadHero.

I PMed the OP but for anyone else who might find this, obviously I didn't post the work like this expecting to be paid for it, but instead, hoping to show OP how to get to the original lineart to start doing the shading in the tutorial they posted, because I believe they can do it themselves but just didn't understand how to get the ridgeline and then spill the lines out from it. While they are welcome to use this as is free of charge, I'm hoping they use it to have another go at the mountains now that they have a visual guide for how they COULD work, starting from the ridgeline, and then adding the basic guidelines, and then fractalizing the cracks a bit. It really wasn't all that long ago I learned how to do this style myself, and breaking down the workflow was the hard part.

I don't want money, I have several paid commissions on the go, what I want is you to feel confident you can finish this map yourself.

You were so nice besides, most people abscond after getting free work without even a thank you very much. It's strange but true... i think they're afraid to be asked for money.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!