Hello.
I have been slowly working on a map for my world using Krita so I have an existing image (map) to work with.

I've been starting to run into issues with tracking all my smaller locations on it (bridges, towns, that one important farm, etc.)
I'm looking for a way (a program I can use) that lets me drag and drop "pins" onto the map which can hold a brief description of what I placed it on, and a reference to my notes. Sort of a google maps style pin system.
The reference dosn't need to be a link or anything clickable, just a few lines of text I can enter so I can remind myself where to look.

I've tried using a legend or a series of 1, 2, 3, etc. notes, but my map is rather large and i keep hating what I've done and redoing it so frequently that baking the notes or a legend into the map at this time has not been working.

Dose anyone know of a tool or program I can use to address this.
Due to my incredible paranoia I can't bring myself to use web based platforms such as inkarnate or world anvil, so I've been looking for an offline solution.
I have been trying to find an answer for this for a while now with no luck.

I've seen references to making the map a KML or KMZ file for Google earth, but I don't know enough about how that works to know if my map would stay local, or be uploaded to some google server somewhere (like I said, paranoid)
I've looked at CC3 but it seems more suited to making (very beautiful) maps vs mine which serves both to anchor my notes but also as a to-scale technical document for the world i'm building. and unless I missed something CC3 wouldn't support an external image like mine to import.

I'm wondering if anyone here knows of something that can answer my problem, or sees some glaring hole in what I've come to understand about other options and can set me straight.

Sorry if this is off topic or the wrong place to post this, I've just been running into a brick wall, and this is the last place i can think of to ask for help before giving up and trying something else entirely.

~lin