Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teacup's Atlas

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected sarawinter's Avatar

Wip Teacup's Atlas

This is the beginning of my attempt to map Teacup's world... starting with an atlas

I decided to use an old globe I had that was gathering dust on top of my bookshelf in my livingroom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200403_012207.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	121321

Name:	20200403_012218.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	121322

The continents are based on this sketch.

Name:	20200403_012230.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	3.40 MB 
ID:	121323

I used the longitudes to guide me when copying it over to the globe, hence all of the lines.

What do you think?

(Edit 1: I dont know how to remove attached thumbnails they are turned in the wrong direction)
    (Edit 2: I figured it out!)
    Last edited by sarawinter; 09-10-2020 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Added images

I'd like to start by pointing out to myself that that is not an atlas, it's a globe!

I actually spent quite a lot of time researching tectonic plates and how they move when designing this map. If you look closely at my sketch you can see the little arrows.

I have not worked any more on this project since I uploaded the first images, but I will try to get some work done on it this weekend. I will also attach the resources I used for making the tectonic plates and a little more about what I was thinking when I made the globe to start with.

I am considering making the globe topographical...
    Something like this:

Name:	x_rwOrEBJyGRnZfwh4qCF29ip68XRWgf3QmNE1uxhcU.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	691.9 KB 
ID:	124904

...but I'm not quite sure what would be the best material to use.

Papier-mâché maybe? That seems a little messy to me though. If you have any ideas, please share them with me

This is wonderful Sara! I had a lot of fun working on my globe project. If you haven't seen them yet, the old threads are in the "Original Cartography Threads" part of this link: https://linktr.ee/veridianworldcrafters

I hope this will help you out! Looks like a great start, long way to go! Keep it up!

~Seth

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    This is wonderful Sara! I had a lot of fun working on my globe project. If you haven't seen them yet, the old threads are in the "Original Cartography Threads" part of this link: https://linktr.ee/veridianworldcrafters

I hope this will help you out! Looks like a great start, long way to go! Keep it up!

~Seth
    That is awesome! Really great idea and it looks real good too

Incredible project! I can't wait to see it develop!

You could consider using "green stuff" it's an air dry clay used for miniature modelling - try googling "warhammer green stuff" or "army painter green stuff". Very expensive, so covering a globe might be tough - but as a medium I think it'd work well. Definitely worth a doing a media trial.

Wip

Quote Originally Posted by Shamension View Post
    Incredible project! I can't wait to see it develop!

You could consider using "green stuff" it's an air dry clay used for miniature modelling - try googling "warhammer green stuff" or "army painter green stuff". Very expensive, so covering a globe might be tough - but as a medium I think it'd work well. Definitely worth a doing a media trial.
    Thanks! And for the tip

I bought a jar of Liquitex Modeling Paste according to @Vigilus' suggestion and it is working really well

Quite amazingy well actually... It has a slightly sandy texture and smells a little strange, but it sticks very well to the surface of the globe. The surface is relatively matte which I think is why it sticks so well. I was actually able to sandpaper the paste after it had dried to smooth out some areas that were too rough.

I have not yet decided if I want to make the ocean floors textured too, we'll see.

Here are some pictures:

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	20200919_205417.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	125051
    Before sand papering.

Name:	20200919_205750.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	125052
    After sand papering.

I cant wait to color this in
    Last edited by sarawinter; 09-20-2020 at 04:45 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Looking good! Save all the touch up details for the very end to save a lot of time. Obsessing over every little detail at this stage is a little pointless. One obsessive pass at the end is all you need!

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilus View Post
    Looking good! Save all the touch up details for the very end to save a lot of time. Obsessing over every little detail at this stage is a little pointless. One obsessive pass at the end is all you need!
    Haha! Good tip! I will keep that in mind

Guild Journeyer

You can use Fimo : soft clay, with every color you could need if you don't want to paint it after. You can work on it during a long time. Inconvenient : you have to heat it for make it hard

If you don't want to heat, you can use cold procelain clay : it hardens in open air

Both are quite easy to use, you can sculpt it with toothpick or any sculpting tools

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast