Thread: Allwanduir

Wip Allwanduir

Here's the map of Allwanduir, my conworld. This is the administrative map that I started in February of 2019. I don't know the exact workload so far but it should be >25, maybe >30. Hopefully posting it here will give me the incentive to finish it some day. :D I'm supposed to make various versions of it later on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allwanduirwip.png 
Views:	73 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	120635  
    Last edited by Eowyn Cwper; 02-27-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

I think I'm done! Any feedback welcome. ^^

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	81 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	121676

›Wyn

It looks great, but I can't help but see that o with the dots on top in the top left as a screaming smily face... LOL... maybe if it were a little tighter in the leading I wouldn't perceive it as an isolated element.

Yeah you'll probably end up making like, 20 versions of it eventually... once you get a setting going, it's like setting a ball rolling.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

more love for umlauts please

i would like to travel this world. Also i have to say i am so amazed at this and the other worldbuilding projects, how much love you put into this. Really great stuff. All the names, even without umlauts, its fantastic.

The whole map uses the traditional Ov orthography, and it makes sense to have it for all the country names (translation: I'm NOT updating a thousand and one tags =D ), but I should definitely update it for the continents' names. And yes, Tiana, I'm doomed to start over a thousand times but isn't that what makes cartography so addictive in a way?

Thanks a lot Lev! But I do have to contradict you on how fantastic the names are: I made them up from nothing, there's no etymology behind most of them, which is much of a shame for a conlanger like me (especially since Ov has more than enough lexical resources for me to make even that many consistent names out of). My next project shall be better tagged.

Conclusion: small modifications incoming!

I'm not saying redo it all to remove the umlauts or change that symbol, just suggesting you tighten the spacing between the font characters for that one particular country name (Zorpdir) so that it flows visually into being a single word instead of jumping out as an isolated symbol. Only for that one piece of text. Not changing the position of the dots but how close together each letter is. Does that make sense? You seem to have misinterpreted it as me wanting all the umlauts gone. Which is true (I always think conlangs should be simplified where possible)... but that's not the suggestion I'm making because you can do you. I just want to see that one word sprawl out a bit less.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I got what you mean, don't worry, but I think it makes more sense to get rid of the umlauts by switching orthography. ^^

Here's the update.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	66 
Size:	2.08 MB 
ID:	121728