Thread: Marais des Hessarts

Default Marais des Hessarts

Hello everyone

First, I'd like to thank the noble members of the Guild who helped me improve this map!

This is the Hessarts marsh, a little swampy valley where the uncareful traveler might get lost... the dangers are many, especially when the sun is up and the monsters awake. You'll have to face them if you wish to buy some herbs to Wilfreda. At night it is much more welcoming though, friendly spirits will keep an eye on you and Will-o'-the-wisps will guide you through the marsh.

I made this one from scratch on Gimp, experimenting with an isometric grid. It was really fun to make, except for the more "natural" lines, which I still struggle to draw with my mouse... I'll turn thirty at the end on the year, so I'll probably indulge in an Ipad Pro with an Apple pen, if I keep practicing and enjoying until then...

The legends and border were made with Inkscape, which was really the worst part. I hope I'll get used to vector graphics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dyptique simplifié5.png 
Views:	132 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	121545

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

These colors work really well. The dinosaur is still one of my favorite parts though whether it is a 'friendly spirit' or not, well, I just hope he has had a meal before he meets me !

Nice stuff! I always enjoy a good day-view-night-view setup.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What a nice little map! Very original in its presentation. A very good choice of colours... and to learn that you did it with a mouse impresses me a lot!
    I really like the style, which brings a fairy-tale touch. I especially like the story(s) that these two maps tell, as well as taking the clichés backwards, making the night a positive moment.

Thank you all for your kind feedback! I'm glad I managed to convey the fairy-tale mood of the place

This is very nice. Boths versions look cute and colorful.

For something drawn with a mouse, it's quite the achievement !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

If you created this with a mouse, you owe it to yourself to get a graphics tablet or a drawing tablet. Did you use the pen tool to do all the linework then?

Gorgeous, the only thing I'd say is there seems to be a heck of a lot of white space. Perhaps the labels could be arranged closer to the land and less whitespace all around. Just nipicking though
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 04-11-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Moureau View Post
    This is very nice. Boths versions look cute and colorful.
    For something drawn with a mouse, it's quite the achievement !
    Merci Marc! And thanks for your kind support with Inkscape!

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    If you created this with a mouse, you owe it to yourself to get a graphics tablet or a drawing tablet. Did you use the oen tool to do all the linework then?
    Yes, using multiple brushes. It shows on the most clumsy parts, like the cliffs or the tree trunks. I should also specify that the reeds and clumps of grass were added with a set of brush, not directly hand drawn. But I felt frustrated because I wanted to "draw" and yet couldn't really do it with the mouse. The geometrical shapes like the house were easier though.

Quote Originally Posted by TimetoDraw View Post
    Gorgeous, the only thing I'd say is there seems to be a heck of a lot of white space. Perhaps the labels could be arranged closer to the land and less whitespace all around. Just nipicking though
    You're right! I'll fix that

It's both great and original!
    I agree with TimetoDraw about the big white space.