Thread: The Lame Map

Wip The Lame Map

Here I am revising another very old map from long, long ago. How long? Long enough that I have no idea. It was quick and sloppy even for my youth. I certainly knew about better ways to draw a forest than looping scribble.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lamemap143.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	5.52 MB 
ID:	121896

It was not without reason that I dubbed it "The Lame Map" when scanning. Should be easy to improve on, right?

Well, here's what I have so far:

Name:	The Lame Map Revised.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	7.21 MB 
ID:	121897

I actually used a layer mask for the first time. So, progress. Anyway, this is the point where I realized that I don't have an idea of how I want to do mountains on this map. The original used the upside-down V approach, but even with more effort put into drawing them, I think side-view mountains would not fit well with the rest of the features. Any thoughts on this conundrum? Of course, any other thoughts on the map are welcome, but the mountains are what is vexing me.

I have a few maps like this laying around (one on a napkin I've been eyeing, in fact) I like the update so far and yay! for layer masks. I just figured out how to do those myself.

For the mountains you said you didn't think side-view would fit with what you have, so have you considered the "caterpillar" style? (Korash is working on something with this: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=46376 and I saw some brushes the other day for this type of mountain design: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=39622) Possibly a direction to go. Looking forward to seeing where this goes!

Map

Thank you for the response. I'd actually been wondering about caterpillar mountains even though this isn't the usual style of map for them.

So, I found some brushes and had a go at it, after not being satisfied with attempts to do the job without special brushes. This may be finished. Still a lame map, but a much nicer lame map than the original, I hope.

Name:	The Lame Map Revised.png 
Views:	37 
Size:	7.35 MB 
ID:	122239