Thread: March Entry : Vallée Mystique

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dontcha just love it when family shows up unannounced and wants to take you out for a belated birthday dinner?

So obviously I was a bit delayed in getting this posted, but here's a rough of what I have going on. By my count, it more than satisfies the requirements, and I may even have to trim some of the rivers, streams and creeks back to a certain extent. The elevations aren't finalized yet, but I needed a general idea of where things would be as I started to lay them in. For the most part, the elevations represented below are very generalized and possessed of a consistent slope. More than likely, as I start building up the elevation, I will be more specific about it in some areas to better represent the source and flow of water. But it is a start.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Last edited by Greason Wolfe; 03-09-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Adding WIP Tag
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Be careful... it looks like the river on the mid right from the sample sketch has been directly extend, which is not valid in the rules of the contest. You might want to break that extension off and having it join the main trunk further downstream.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

DOH!

I did that with all three of the rivers from the sample sketch without even thinking about it. But that shouldn't be a problem, was planning to trim some of the rivers back anyhow, guess those three will be the first one's on the block.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

As was pointed out, I had inadvertently extended the main rivers. I've since cleaned that up as well as a few of the less essential creeks and streams. I hope to be working on the elevation model shortly, but with a graveyard shift tonight, I'm going to have to call it quits for today. I may, in the long run, trim off a few more water paths to make room for better definition of elevations, but I'll have to take a closer look at things during the slow periods at work tonight and in the morning.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    GW

Wip

Thanks to some noisy neighbors yesterday afternoon, I didn't get much sleep before work and have spent most of today in bed. But I did want to try to accomplish something, so I decided to do a little "refresher course" in masks and textures today. It's really not much, but I need to get back in practice with those techniques in something other than Terragen. With an older version of Paintshop Pro, I'm not having as much success as I'd like at the moment, but then again, I'm still re-refining the process. As for actual progress on the map, not a whole lot worth mentioning. I did try laying out a "grassy" surface, but I'm definitely going to have to work on the "jaggies" along the coastal/shore regions. The grass looks pretty uniform right now, but I kept it simple for the time being with a bit of guassien noise over three layers using a "difference" and "overlay" blending mode. It's not a bad texture, but looks much better at mid-level resolutions than it does at full size or posting size. Hopefully I'll be able to re-refine the process before the challenge ends and have something complete to post as a final product.

GW

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VM Mask and Texture 1_0.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	361.9 KB 
ID:	11157  
    GW