Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corsica

Map Corsica

Hi everybody,
    This is my first finished maps post, it kinda feels like exciting!

I keep pleasant memories of this map. Not only was one of my first maps ever, back in 2015, but also my first own board game design: Corsica, which is a fan project based on Pulsipher's Britannia (with his consent of course).

As you can see, the map shows this beautiful island. As it's not a fantasy map, I remember the hard work to keep the geometry and relief true to reality. I'd like to post a step-by-step process, but I don't recall it properly anymore. That's all I can say:
    - Baselines where drawn with CAD software (it's the case for labels, frontiers, the isle's outline, the rivers).
    - Texturing was made exclusively with photoshop. I remember being specially proud of the sea texture, as I got to develop a technique on my own that I still like to use nowadays.

The image is a low-res one, the original one is made on 300 dpi in a DINA2 size. I printed it for board game purposes on flex PVC in a local print shop and it still looks like it was the first day.

Hope you like it and will appreciate any comment and criticism you can provide. Thanksalot!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tablero.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	3.10 MB 
ID:	122468  

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Really cool! The colors that you have chosen to use here all work really well together. I will have to look up Pulsiphers Brittania though to get an idea on how the board is used!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice, welcome!

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

The colours on this work really nicely, especially the blues you have for the sea. It looks like a good clean layout for playing too!

And, don't be shy, post some more finished maps if you have them!

Guild Apprentice

Bless you! You almost drew my hometown there (it's covered by the 3...). You made me so homesick, but it's lovely! I will have to ask you details of your process because I have among my personal project the idea of a set of maps depicting my islands, but the first attempt trying to copy the outline from google were unsatisfactory at best. But I will ask my questions another time, after I finish looking at it and sighing...

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    Really cool! The colors that you have chosen to use here all work really well together. I will have to look up Pulsiphers Brittania though to get an idea on how the board is used!
    Thanks for your kind words, Arimel! If you wish to explore Pulsipher's game, its BGG entry is this one:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/240/britannia

From there, you can get to the many games that use or adapt its game system.

I also made an entry for Corsica when I finished my own version, which is this one:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/176804/corsica

Although I wanted to stay as faithful as possible to the original system, I ended introducing quite a lot of new rules and modifications to match Corsica's different scale, terrain and history, so I ended up with some different mechanics and quite a different game feel.

Anyay, thanks again for your answer to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    The colours on this work really nicely, especially the blues you have for the sea. It looks like a good clean layout for playing too!

And, don't be shy, post some more finished maps if you have them!
    Hi Greg, thanks for posting and your kind words. This is muy idea: I'll keep uploading my (few) maps I've done these last years and ill be happy to get any feedback from the community.

Quote Originally Posted by krostatina View Post
    Bless you! You almost drew my hometown there (it's covered by the 3...). You made me so homesick, but it's lovely! I will have to ask you details of your process because I have among my personal project the idea of a set of maps depicting my islands, but the first attempt trying to copy the outline from google were unsatisfactory at best. But I will ask my questions another time, after I finish looking at it and sighing...
    Hi Krostatina!

I'm glad the map got you to remember your home town. Bonifacio's waters are such a lovely place! I've been to Corsica twice, each time spent a whole month there and really loved it. It still keeps in my mind as one of my favourite destinations ever. I felt fascinated with its landscapes, but also with its culture and its people. I got into its history as well, and studying it I got this idea that Britannia's game system would perfectly fit if applied to Corsica so I started this project for a print an play game. Took more than two years to polish, but I'm happy ith the results.

And I'll be glad to help anyway I can with your project of depicting your islands! Just ask, and if I can, I'll help.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Very nice map ! Vibrant colors !!!

Guild Apprentice

Compliments on a job well done here!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast