Thread: Ice Tower WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    The snowy castle does look good. I find snow hard work probably because I dont get to see it all that often to know what its supposed to look like.

After some immense digging and google fu I dug up one of Vry's maps. Hes a great artists and has been over here once or twice. Anyway I remember he had a great snow scene so heres a link to that.

He seems to be able to get snow looking right. So see if you can take some tips from him. He uses Photoshop and has said a map can take weeks so don't think this is a normal standard - this is pretty exceptional.

The other thing is to tell us what it is your after with the castle cliff. I could try to get my terrain prog to gen up some rough cliff with snow on it. Its pretty good at that. In fact most terrain apps seem to be ok with snowscapes but that might again be more to do with the fact that I don't have the familiarity to see the issues in them.

If it comes out ok ill post it.
    Hmm, that url wasn't working, I've closed the final bracket, so let's see if this works...

Edit: yes, that's better.

That looks like the effect I'm after, thanks for the link. I want a few more black rocks protruding like that. I'll have to see if I can get a really hi-def image of that map so I can examine the 'brush strokes' and learn from the master.

As for the cliffs, like you, I don't see enough snow to be sure, but I'll know it when I see it.
    I feel that when snow falls on sharp rock, it will tend to calf off abruptly, taking the edgy shape of the rock, whereas the current snow patches are roundeed and faded out and are ideal for larger expanses of snow. That's why I suggested that your 'scattered snow' effect might be good if it could be scaled up over small objects.

For someone who doesn't see much snow, I'd say you've done a great job there, Redrobes, all I've done is plonked it down on top of a castle.
    Last edited by icosahedron; 03-09-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.