Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Brysis

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Molch View Post
    Grunge is done. I used chimneys to break the monotony and varied roof color a little bit.
    I think that helped a bunch - this is coming along nicely.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

This is coming along very nicely. I particularly like the addition of house gardens, a vital resource for poor villagers.

Personally, I sort of like the different water colors of the river and the swamp. The rivers are moving and fresh, hence a lovelier color, while the swamp is full of festering plant matter. Though you might want to extend the area where the two water's mix; it is easy to miss.

Speaking of which, adding tall grass to the swamp might be a worth while idea. After all, peat is mostly grasses.

Something you might want to consider in place of chimneys is just a simple hole in a roof. Chimneys seem fairly fancy to me, something I'm not sure they could afford (while a simple hole in a roof, though it lets in rain, costs nothing as well.

Also, perhaps the villagers might like to have a village green; a place where they can gather, talk, and bring their animals in safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Thought View Post
    The rivers are moving and fresh, hence a lovelier color, while the swamp is full of festering plant matter.
    That was my intention.

Though you might want to extend the area where the two water's mix; it is easy to miss.
    Very true. I work too much zoomed in...

Speaking of which, adding tall grass to the swamp might be a worth while idea.
    Definitely. It's already in the works along with some fallen trees and a small hut.

Something you might want to consider in place of chimneys is just a simple hole in a roof. Chimneys seem fairly fancy to me, something I'm not sure they could afford (while a simple hole in a roof, though it lets in rain, costs nothing as well.
    Great idea, I will definitely try! Thanks.

Also, perhaps the villagers might like to have a village green; a place where they can gather, talk, and bring their animals in safety.
    Again, great idea. At first I dismissed the idea of a "market" but it would definitely help to break up the cluster of houses.
    Thanks for all your input!
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

This is looking just lovely. Great work!

Nice city... Wanna see more...

Thanks, here's a little update.
    I added a village green, some more houses (for example a shrine up in the hills), roads, bridges and finally some trees (more of those to come).

Thanks for all the comments!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brysis_rev 9.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	3.69 MB 
ID:	11330  
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

Looking good Molch! I especially like the houses with their small yards and vegetable patches, really cool. The roads and bridges are also very good.

The only criticism I have is that the map is a bit too dark (that's just my opinion maybe).
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Looking good Molch! I especially like the houses with their small yards and vegetable patches, really cool. The roads and bridges are also very good.

The only criticism I have is that the map is a bit too dark (that's just my opinion maybe).

No, not only yours actually. I find it a bit too dark too.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just 2 things for me:
    1. I think you could make your paths more like that one spot by the river that looks sort of like this l> ...that color works really well for a muddy path.
    2. Those lil gardens are a cool idea but I think the bright colors of the veggies could be blurred a bit so that they don't stick out so much.

Overall, this is really nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Duly noted. This seems to be an issue with my apparently too bright display.
    I postponed the additional adjustment layer because my system memory is on the verge of giving me the finger but I'll see what I can do.

Regarding the road color: I will try a lighter brown. Let's see how it works out.
    The same goes for the vegetables. Consider them blurred / darkened. Thanks!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast