Thread: Brysis

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

A very nice starting map; I also really like the terrain. Presumably the water at the bottom of the map is the marsh?

Have you considered the affect of bog iron on the town? It sounds like they are too poor to import needed metals, so bog iron might be an important resource for them. Its a rare source, so metal would still be scarce, but it could be a sign of "prosperity" among the villagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thought View Post
    A very nice starting map;
    Thank you!

I also really like the terrain. Presumably the water at the bottom of the map is the marsh?
    Correct. I'm working on it right now and it's looking good so far.

Have you considered the affect of bog iron on the town? It sounds like they are too poor to import needed metals, so bog iron might be an important resource for them. Its a rare source, so metal would still be scarce, but it could be a sign of "prosperity" among the villagers.
    Actually I have. Most tools will be made from bog iron making the search for it important enough to brave the danger posed by frequent peat fires silently smoldering under the surface. Soldiers are directly under the lord's command and get their weapons through different channels.
    One of the more important buildings will be the blacksmith and his bloomery.
    Also the town will sport an inn of sorts where the servants of the lord's visitors will usually live.
    The lord's estate itself will not be on the map but will probably be featured on its own map.
    Last learned: Changing layers in PS to Smart Objects before Free Transforming them allows lossless transformations.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks great. As a fan of dark maps I really like when the "feel" of an area can be represented...in this case a dark and spooky swamp. I need to know what sort of general scale yer lookin at here before I can help ya with yer list. If those are intended to be mountains instead of rocky outcrops, then I'd say scale is quite large so I'd say the fleshing out would consist of roads and cities with some sort of texture on the water maybe. If they are just sort of rock totems piled up by the people then you could go full on with houses, carts, canoes, etc. and some junk in the swamp like deadfalls, snags, moss, etc. and a few gators.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps