Thread: April 2020 Challenge: River City

Default April 2020 Challenge: River City

This is a simple map I've wanted to do for a while after reading an article about the lost creeks and rivers of Winnipeg, and the mills and waterwheels gobbled up by progress.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	winnipegrivercitysmall.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	273.4 KB 
ID:	122688

Of what's represented here, most of these small waterways no longer exist, with a few prominent exceptions they have all been eliminated by manmade means, some for better (the floodway... this is a city that would be submerged by spring flooding with enormous wetlands and marsh) and some for worse (today, buildings still have foundational issues when they've been built over former creekbeds, which still have the call to moisture deep in the water table, causing occasional collapses and tilts!)

The Seine River and Sturgeon Creek and La Salle River are all still obvious water features in Winnipeg on a pedestrian level, and a handful of these can still be found if you pay close attention to how the water cut the land. For example, when studying the maps to set this up, I realized I'd been at a park with a ditch shaped by the former Truro Creek.
    Last edited by Tiana; 05-14-2020 at 09:59 AM.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Seems nice! I think it's always a good idea to make features of the past come back to make something new of them