Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procellan Region - Eurigan

Map Procellan Region - Eurigan

Hi folks (again),

Sorry for the back to back post but I've had little time to post at the Guild lately, don't have much these days but I've managed to take some to post it.

A month ago, I was commissioned to draw this A3 map for a private RPG party. The theme was Russian/Balkanian 16th-17th century and the Tabula Russiae map was given to me for the general mood, minus the illustrations and city map.

I was instantly seduced by the swirling sketch of the client and I tried to magnify it in the map. It was also an opportunity to play with the compass with one inspired by an old Turkish map of Venice for which I changed the colors to match the cultural background (if I can say so). It was also an opportunity to match it with the border and to replace my usual rhumbs with a graticule (that kind of matches the one from the reference map).

The client had an unusual way of describing biomes that I found very clever : he embedded his sketch in a google earth capture and added satellite images to give exemples of each biome. Efficient, quick and elegant.

Working on the map was really pleasant and I'm pretty proud of the end result.

Here it is !

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final more legible post.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	122400
    © Thomas REY - 2020 - All rights reserved.

I hope you like it and I'd love to hear your comments and, as I really like it, your critics

Cheers !

Thomas

A real sensation of space, a great variety of terrain feature, a subtil coloring and an simple but efficient frame. A success. Beau travail, Thomas.
    Cheers,
    Warlin.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

It is nice to see one of your maps again!
    I really like the desert areas to the east. That circular texture looks really good and the variations in the desert's contents with the hills and plateaus(?) is also neat, particularly for an area that is generally really empty.

I think i saw this already in sepia ? Am I wrong?
    Anyway, great map Thom!
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

You should be proud. Everything works together beautifully in this and I love the way the border adds that subtle colour to the the map. Mountains are as always fab!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

To my eyes, it's one of your best !

I love the tainted colors and the whole dynamic of the map (as you said), the general feeling is very peculiar with the grid and the compass !

You really stepped up for this one and I think you reached a new level (statistics improved ! roll a few dices !)

Congratulations and thanks for sharing !

This came out wonderfully, Thomas. I quite like the color scheme.
    The spread of smaller details as you move out from the mtns looks good.
    Only critique, if it is one, is that, on quick glance, the red gulf and the khold desert look very close in color.
    That was initially confusing, though less so when seen at full size.

Fantastic work, Thom! Honestly, I think this is one of the best maps I've seen you make

Wingshaw

Formerly TheHoarseWhisperer

Wow! I've been gone for a while and now see this, you've really improved and nailed this one, great job! My only critique would be the water lines are a little too prominent and busy, maybe break it up more or more transparency?

Quote Originally Posted by Warlin View Post
    A real sensation of space, a great variety of terrain feature, a subtil coloring and an simple but efficient frame. A success. Beau travail, Thomas.
    Cheers,
    Warlin.
    Merci beaucoup Warlin ! To read that I've managed to convey that real world/sensation of space makes my day. And I'm also glad you noticed the echo between the border and the compass (and that it works !). Cheers !

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    It is nice to see one of your maps again!
    I really like the desert areas to the east. That circular texture looks really good and the variations in the desert's contents with the hills and plateaus(?) is also neat, particularly for an area that is generally really empty.
    Thanks Arimel, it feels nice to post again. Yes, these are plateaus near the mountains and desert areas. I find this is a simple, quick and really nice when shaded way to show desert areas. With some rocky terrain to give bones to the deserts it works well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    I think i saw this already in sepia ? Am I wrong?
    Anyway, great map Thom!
    You might refer to the rough compass I used in my sketch thread or maybe a WIP on social media. Thanks Rafal

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You should be proud. Everything works together beautifully in this and I love the way the border adds that subtle colour to the the map. Mountains are as always fab!
    I am, thanks Greg I'm glad you think it works well as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    To my eyes, it's one of your best !

I love the tainted colors and the whole dynamic of the map (as you said), the general feeling is very peculiar with the grid and the compass !

You really stepped up for this one and I think you reached a new level (statistics improved ! roll a few dices !)

Congratulations and thanks for sharing !
    Merci beaucoup Joël I'm really glad you like the compass, it took me a handful of hours by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    This came out wonderfully, Thomas. I quite like the color scheme.
    The spread of smaller details as you move out from the mtns looks good.
    Only critique, if it is one, is that, on quick glance, the red gulf and the khold desert look very close in color.
    That was initially confusing, though less so when seen at full size.
    Thanks a lot John I kept the colors used to a minimum and the black overlaid to the parchment for the sea and the orange I used for the desert do look pretty close, you're right. Hopefully, the emptiness of the endless deeps is working for me

Quote Originally Posted by Wingshaw View Post
    Fantastic work, Thom! Honestly, I think this is one of the best maps I've seen you make

Wingshaw
    Thanks a lot George, I'm glad you think so

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Wow! I've been gone for a while and now see this, you've really improved and nailed this one, great job! My only critique would be the water lines are a little too prominent and busy, maybe break it up more or more transparency?
    Thanks a bunch Ric ! I've practiced a lot About the waves, it might be because their "presence" is reinforced by a blue stroke with a "wet edge" effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast