Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nihon - Clan Imbe grounds

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I always had trouble wrapping my head around World Machine. Not that it's any worse or better than others but for me it was like learning Martian.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by mogul76 View Post
    These images are really impressive. Thanks for pointing out GeoControl 2, Jykke. Have some rep for doing so!

Quick question: Have you also tested World Machine 2? It seems to be quite similar. I can see myself using terrain-generation tools for quite a few maps.

But at the moment, I'm not sure which software is better. GeoControl 2 or World Machine 2?

Does anyone have experience with both programmes?
    I haven't tried World Machine 2, so I can't really compare the two.. But the main difference from the stats is that geocontrol2 beta is free and it can produce 4000x4000 terrains, when the free version of world machine will give you 513x513 pixel maps. So when detailed maps are needed and you want to use free software.. then the decision isn't that hard. (I first looked at worldmachine but because of the resolution cap I decided to skip it).

Just a side note: If you plan to render printable pictures with vue (A4 @ 300dpi), make sure you have enough computing power.. Vue is a real pain in the ass when it comes to memory etc requirements.. but the results are really beautiful.

ps. I still have a long road to walk before I'm ready for that big A4 render, I just stumbled upon this problem when testing out the scene & how it works

The map is still under heavy construnction:

-rivers are too wide, and the banks are far from natural
    -problems with terrain (right side, lake, for example.. somekind of program bug, working on it..
    -trees, well.. I tested trees out and I would welcome some feedback about the size of them. I know they are way out of proportion, but does it bother too much? Layout of the forests is still a big question mark.
    -towns, fields.. yes. they are still missing
    -Roads, hmmm.. have to plot these also
    -regional markers. how should the borders of the clan territories be marked, with different color flags, stones, posts ?
    -Place names.. this will be an interesting point of the map creation.. I have NO clue how I'm going to set the text etc.
    -details, Need more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imbe-testing-x.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	11672  

As you said the trees are bit too large. It is noticeable but if you make them smaller you most likely will loose the individual tree look. In my opinion stick with the individual trees as they are far better than a solid tree mat.
    you had pointed out many things you will work on and I do like the outcome...rep...

Guild Apprentice

Astounding. The forests look great. Cultural groups tend to expand within natural boundries, so maybe you don't really need any boundry markers. I think a line of standing stones would make great boundry where there are no natural ones. A good example might be the Rollright Stones of England. There was another stone age site I had in mind where the stones actually form a long line, but I can't recall the name now.

There seems to be some rivers missing from the mountains in the southern half of the map. The rain water has to run off somewhere.

Other than that I have no suggestions. I am a neophyte myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cancerlad View Post
    Astounding. The forests look great. Cultural groups tend to expand within natural boundries, so maybe you don't really need any boundry markers. I think a line of standing stones would make great boundry where there are no natural ones. A good example might be the Rollright Stones of England. There was another stone age site I had in mind where the stones actually form a long line, but I can't recall the name now.

There seems to be some rivers missing from the mountains in the southern half of the map. The rain water has to run off somewhere.

Other than that I have no suggestions. I am a neophyte myself.
    Thanks for the good points!

Yeah, I have to consider the boundary markers. Maybe I don't need them at all.

I thought to make the southern part of the map more arable, so the soil is more pourus and takes in a lot of water preventing flows to be formed.

Quote Originally Posted by pasis View Post
    As you said the trees are bit too large. It is noticeable but if you make them smaller you most likely will loose the individual tree look. In my opinion stick with the individual trees as they are far better than a solid tree mat.
    you had pointed out many things you will work on and I do like the outcome...rep...
    Yeah, the trees form a some sort of problem.. Actually I'm not even sure if I can make them look like a dense forest, because that will just kill my machine It takes a lot of memory to populate a scene like that with a couple of million trees. Thanks for the rep !

Along with standing stones round barrows, henge's (the earth bank part) and earth ditch features where the most common prehistoric boundary.

The presence of the burial mounds of your ancestors was particularly important because it tied your claim to the land over the generations.

Aerial photos around Avebury may give you some inspiration, the Wiki on Henges is worth a read and Offas Dyke is a particularly good example of an earth bank as a boundary.

Its a lovely map though already

Korba

Guild Apprentice

I was imagining some really exciting scenes surrounding boundry stones. Like a young man out hunting and suddenly looks up from the deer he just ran down to see he's on the wrong side of the stones...

Perhaps chieftans of two clans aproaching from either side of the stones, hands on the pomels of their swords, to discuss a treaty. Like Horsa and Hengist meeting with Vortigern at stonehenge - a tragic tale that ends in the Night of the Long Knives.

Oh so many possibilities!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast