Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
I really like the woodcut version. Have you thought about making the landmass itself slightly beveled as well? I think that'd look quite nice, and give it even more of a woodcut feel.

The rivers and seas all look a bit too neat for a painted-on feature. You might try using brush strokes for the rivers and coastlines, to make the transition look a bit less sudden.

The colours of the wood are fine, but yeah, the sea is a bit purple. Also, the forests are a bit bright for my taste; a darker green might look better.

But all in all, it's a very nice map indeed.
I've experimented with beveled landmasses and it does enhance things. Part of my thought process lately has been - do *I* want to make the map in a really creative way or do I rely on the software to give me an easy solution? It's always a compromise I guess.

Yeah - the rivers really need to be redone. On the first map there are some much more organic ones in the center of the map - I cut those out with a lasso tool, rather than a uniform-width brush, and it really does look better. Then I got lazy

I am probably more in favor of the forests in V1 than V2. . . the V2 technique (brushing on green and then shadowing/highlighting) would be more appropriate in a map aiming for a satellite style.