Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calling the River Police

Wip

First off, thanks to Ascension for the heads up on where to look. I did just that and started drawing my own settlements. Interestingly, as I worked on them, I began seeing why the designers of the symbols I already had made the choices they did. As I continued work, my symbols started to look like those that came with Campaign Cartographer. I figured it was dumb to reinvent the wheel and went back to the packaged symbols and tweaked them with effects.

Below is the map with the structures and previous advice. Obviously the settlements are not drawn to scale. Overall, I'm pleased with the look. Any last advice before moving on to the labels?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Council Frontier.BMP 
Views:	113 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	11316  

I was sick all of last week and couldn't do any work on the map. I'm now better and finally put the finishing touches with the labels. It looks a bit crowded to me, but in the "How to Display Place Names thread" the general consensus seemed to be crowding is okay as long as everything is legible.

If some of the names seem familiar, that's because I shamelessly steal names from other sources. A few you may recognize from Expeditious Retreat Press and their Lands of Darkness series. This map is for an online game; that's why I went with the larger fonts (overall) and symbols. Unless anyone has any tips, I think this one is done. Let me know if it needs something else.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Council Frontier.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	11660  

If you carried any of your custom symbols to completion, please consider sharing them with the entire guild by posting them in this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3726

It doesn't matter if you only made one or two; I've only done three so far.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12