Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon tiles - a small project

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Good plan. I'm currently tied up with a few other tasks but will be getting on to these elements as and when I can. I look forward to seeing what you come up with - and thanks for the rep btw!

This is an amazing tile set. I'm just learning to use the maptool program and these have giving me a huge jump forward.

The only issue I have, and it is probably just me, but I can't find the angle and circular walls, what folder are they in?

Ah, there are no angular or circular walls. The circular walls are just a series of single wall sections placed without shap to grid. You can free rotate a tile by holding down ctrl-shift and rotating the middle mouse button. This is also the way that the angled walls are done.

The reason there are no specific tiles for this is because people tend to want all sorts of angles and it would require a new tile for every angle. It's even worse for circular rooms as you'd need a different tile for every radius of room, and also for every section of that room. This is the current solution, but I'm definitely open to ideas for better solutions.

*facepalm*

Thank you so much.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Ah, there are no angular or circular walls. The circular walls are just a series of single wall sections placed without shap to grid. You can free rotate a tile by holding down ctrl-shift and rotating the middle mouse button. This is also the way that the angled walls are done.

The reason there are no specific tiles for this is because people tend to want all sorts of angles and it would require a new tile for every angle. It's even worse for circular rooms as you'd need a different tile for every radius of room, and also for every section of that room. This is the current solution, but I'm definitely open to ideas for better solutions.
    Your explanation and justification will be accepted. This time.

Seriously, though, these are all fantastic and much appreciated. Thank you!

Just some thinking about other possible uses for tiles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.png 
Views:	4016 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	13487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowCappedMountains.png 
Views:	576 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	13488

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

those are quite nice Torstan...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Just some thinking about other possible uses for tiles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.png 
Views:	4016 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	13487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowCappedMountains.png 
Views:	576 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	13488

Those are superb!!!!! I can't rep ya now though.... Something like that was my intent on this project, but my time just went poof... and I have not had a chance to get back to it. Of course, now looking back, they don't look very ISO but a lot more straight side on.....but I have a few ideas on how to "fix" the mountains to make them not quite side on view though. My original intention was to have both single mountains as well as a few 2-5 mountain chain range symbols.

If you can do more, especially in vary color schemes, that would be great!!!
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

[QUOTE=torstan;63771]Just some thinking about other possible uses for tiles:

Oh, one other thing, I think I would prefer to see separate sets for overland tiles though. And would prefer you get your indoor/dungeon set done first, followed by an outdoor set(vegitation, paths, etc), and then the overland tiles. Of course, I am a bit biased since I want to use stuff for Maptool and the top down will help me out the most.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely. This little experiment was more about the fact that I was a little out of steam on my big projects right now and wanted to try something quickly that looked cool. The interior dungeon set is certainly first on the maptool list, followed by outdoor tiles.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast