Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Dungeon tiles - a small project

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

The mountain stuff is on the back burner a little right now, but I'd certainly like to get around to throwing some more of that in there. I'm glad you like the set, it's been a while since I updated it, but it's still being added to.

Oh, and because I put this together for someone on the maptool forums, here's a wall mask that can be used to create your own tiles. Make sure that in each case the wall ends that you draw match up to the end corners of the rectangle and you'll have pieces that fit to a 100px grid and match up perfectly. It's a bit more trouble to make sure the colours match, but there's no magic mask for that I'm afraid. Hope it comes in useful to someone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BlankWalls.png 
Views:	266 
Size:	3.4 KB 
ID:	16709

Blog Entries

Hey Torstan, I thought you would like to know that we've been fiddling and getting all these images converted and scaled for a download in the ViewingDale site and its finally gone up.

bottom of:
    http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...y=dnld_dungeon

is the link to your site ok or should I put it to this thread ?

All the additional downloads over there are BY-SA-NC and they were 2.5 but since you were on 3.0 I upped them all to 3 too.

The download contains almost all of the stuff in your 100px download. I note looking at this thread again that the sharp corners were not in that so they might have to go in some future lot. We dropped the lower res or rotated versions of duplicated stuff and added a floor or two to go with the paving slabs.

I can have a play now and make some big dungeon up and see how it looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tmp.png 
Views:	1374 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	16904  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I started playing around a bit with these myself. the 2 problems I ran into is that with photoshop, the drag and drop isn't quite as simple as it appears to be elsewhere (first it opens as a new file, and from there you can drag it as a new layer), and the edge of the graphic stops at the transparency. The first one, not a big deal, I now have a single PSD with all the objects on their own layer, and categorized in logical folder groupings (or will soon, right now I just have the basic construction portions, walls, stairs, doors, etc). The second was a bit more tedious as it involves editing each file separately -i took a brush with opacity set to 2% and put a dot at each corner, transparent enough to not notice visually, but enough pixel data to mark a corner boundary. Voilà, everything now aligns perfectly to the grid.

I've been considering moving down to the next scale for awhile, but just didn't feel I was ready for it. your tile set will, I think, be a great introduction for me to play with until I get around to doing things from scratch on my own

thanks for making them available!
    (speaking of whom, if any photoshop users want the psd when I'm done with all the objects, let me know and I can make it available. It'll be too large to attach here, but I have an FTP server available, or if it's small enough, I can put it on a webhost)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I couldn't wait to add all the files to the PSD, I just had to test it out and see if it was worth continuing.

Test succesful, I would say. Took maybe half an hour once i really got moving, most of that was figuring out how to place the walls most efficiently in the prison area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon level 1 copy.jpg 
Views:	3281 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	16930  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Cheers RR - glad that's come in useful. Yep, a link to my site is best. I'll keep on bumping this thread when new stuff gets added (it will, I promise!)

CoyoteMax - that looks cool! Photoshop does have an annoying habit of autocropping transparent regions. That dot basis sounds like a pretty good solution, but certainly a time consuming one. I'd say that people may well be interested in the psd if you're willing to provide it.

Hey Torstan, just wanted to say that your tiles are my absolute favorite -- I use them like crazy! Thanks for the great stuff!

Thanks! I'm really pleased they come in useful. That's great to know.

I use at least some element of your tiles set in pretty much every single map I do. Here's an example: the Shrine of Lamashtu in the dungeon of Thistletop! (From Rise of the Runelords.) I used Torstan's steps, elevations, doors, braziers, lanterns, and pillars in this one.

I put in two screens to show the vision blocking/lighting...

Name:	screen1..png 
Views:	670 
Size:	884.6 KB 
ID:	23448

Name:	screen2..png 
Views:	270 
Size:	717.4 KB 
ID:	23447

I'm a total noob at all of this, but I feel like I can still make some darn cool looking maps using resources like your tiles.

Yep, this was a real beast to get through. The final zip file has over 300 files in it I think! I won't be updating this for a while... but I'm really pleased it's getting so much use.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast