Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyrgolad: Capital city of the golden Tygoladan Empire - by Jared Blando

Professional Artist Facebook Connected TheRedEpic's Avatar

Map Tyrgolad: Capital city of the golden Tygoladan Empire - by Jared Blando

Hey All,

Here is the City of Tyrgolad, the capital of the empire of men, featured in DC'Comics "The Last God" comic book series.

This map was one of four maps I illustrated for DC's 5th Edition coursebook called "Tales from the Book of Ages". That book is chock full of fantastic artwork, rules, and fluff for those who want to adventure in the world of the last god via D&D. After I did the world map, which was the first DC ever commissioned, Amedeo Tuturro and I talked about having a crossover with 5E because DnD is so popular, TLG is dnd-esque, and my previous experience with WotC and maps of the at sort. A few months later, that's exactly what they did, and the result was pretty damn awesome considering they never put a sourcebook out before. The Last God is quite violent, sexual, and exceptionally "adult" which is the kind of fantasy I am usually drawn to; needless to say I was quite happy to be apart of the project :-)

I am not overly fond of city maps, but I decided to have some fun with this one. I attempted to inject alot of color and vibrancy into the city itself, especially since it's the Capital. as well as give it a 15th century look with flat farms, info boxes, and the force perspective tentage, etc. In the story, Tyrgolad comes under seige from the main bad guy's and their hosts. The heroes must stay the course and potentially die, righting the wrongs of their ancestors, or leave the city to it's fate and accept their shame.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyrgolad JB Final REVISED DC 125dpi.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	984.3 KB 
ID:	123873

Some shots of the Book it appears in:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-08 09.47.19-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	2.38 MB 
ID:	123868Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-08 09.48.21-1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	3.74 MB 
ID:	123869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-08 09.46.59-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	2.98 MB 
ID:	123870Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-06-08 09.46.36-1.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	3.34 MB 
ID:	123871
    Artwork Copyright DC.

Comments and critiques are always welcome.
    ~Blando
    Last edited by TheRedEpic; 07-09-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Awesome story, Jared! And as always, beautiful map! I like your art style and your choice of colors, as always.
    I think a good city map can be as inspiring as any continent or world map. Because a detailed city map is like a world onto its own.

I don't know that particular comic, but it looks cool. I might enjoy it. Did you post the world map you mentioned above somewhere? Or even here on the CG? I'd like to take a look, if possible.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Horror of horrors, I can not rep you again so soon. Lovely map, really like the style.

This is astonishing dude, I think you really got it there with the colour palette to achieve some renaissance feeling.

Wonderful as always, Jared. It's good to see a city map from you !
    Colors are, as always, incredibly vibrant and distinctive of your style. I can just admire
    I'm especially fan of the camp in the top part : I love how you break the perspectives and change the map to a painting ^^

Thanks everyone, glad you like what I've down with it :-)
    @ Eilathen - You should check it out, the artwork is astounding and the story is really well written. If you like Game of Thrones (the Books) but a bit higher fantasy, you'll love it.
    @ MistyBee - Very High praise. Thanks, figured you might like that part :-) I've always been a fan of forced perspective on maps, it make it more "hitsorical/illustrative".

Cool, thanks, Jared. Sounds like my jam!
    Is the worldmap you talked about somewhere on the net to look at? I'd love to see it.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Quote Originally Posted by Eilathen View Post
    Cool, thanks, Jared. Sounds like my jam!
    Is the worldmap you talked about somewhere on the net to look at? I'd love to see it.
    Word! Actually I posted the world map last year right here on CG, here is the Link !

Quote Originally Posted by TheRedEpic View Post
    Word! Actually I posted the world map last year right here on CG, here is the Link !
    Perfect, thanks!
    I'm trapped in Darkness,

Great map, as per usual ! I'm still amazed by your very particular style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast