Hey there!

Firstly, be welcome and enjoy your time here. But now straight into the constructive criticism and prase part.

Your point No. 2 is dead-on for me, too, I must admit... I was an avid videogamer back when 7 polygons were considered a marvel of technology

No, really, a few years ago I still was pretty big in gaming, by now I've given it mostly up for other stuff. A lot of that stuff is mapping and RPG's. So yeah, I can feel you

So, for the suggestions and other things... firstly it does look very good and solid, esp. for a first-time map.

The mountains do look a bit out-of-place in terms of brightness, I must admit. They just catch the eye the instant you open the map. Maybe try darkening them a little?

Also I don't know about the tutorial by RobA, since I'm a Photoshop user, but the woods do look somewhat flat... you could try working with a Texture there, which I do since a few weeks (and helps a lot).

Well, that's my two criticisms, hopefully constructive enough. Other than those two, the map really is beautiful and nicely done. I'm really really looking forward to seeing more from you! Map on!

Oh, and have some rep!