Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Working on a publication: Kaidan

Post Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    No, the pdf loads fine, importing the pdf in to open office so I could edit things and email them back to you went all weird... sorry if I'm not being clear.

As for waiting on the alpha rules... okie dokie... a question though... Is the opening Tanaka changing much... I've already worked it over in a few places... (there was a comma splice in it so weird I had to get help figuring out how to fix it (despite the fact that I've made that same oops myself a couple times... mother and my old english teacher called it "trying to squeeze 20 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack... don't feel bad... dialogue sucks... it just does... 10 people can try and clean it up and it still be broke)) I can send them your way if you'd like.
    Sure, send it over, I'll take a look.

Perhaps it would be better to continue this dialogue through Email or private messaging, rather than in the thread. I'd like to mainly reserve this thread for updates, guild member responses and such.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Notsonoble View Post
    No, the pdf loads fine, importing the pdf in to open office so I could edit things and email them back to you went all weird... sorry if I'm not being clear.

As for waiting on the alpha rules... okie dokie... a question though... Is the opening Tanaka changing much... I've already worked it over in a few places... (there was a comma splice in it so weird I had to get help figuring out how to fix it (despite the fact that I've made that same oops myself a couple times... mother and my old english teacher called it "trying to squeeze 20 pounds of potatoes in a 5 pound sack... don't feel bad... dialogue sucks... it just does... 10 people can try and clean it up and it still be broke)) I can send them your way if you'd like.
    NotSoNoble> That's probably my fault originally... I am plagued with a tendency to try write "Sentence-agraphs" after being hounded into writing longer sentences in early schooling. Now I tend to have sentences inside sentences and a lot of passive voice because they extend the length of sentences. Been working on it, but its hard to buck 15+ years of writing habit.
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Post My writing tends to dance around.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut1981 View Post
    NotSoNoble> That's probably my fault originally... I am plagued with a tendency to try write "Sentence-agraphs" after being hounded into writing longer sentences in early schooling. Now I tend to have sentences inside sentences and a lot of passive voice because they extend the length of sentences. Been working on it, but its hard to buck 15+ years of writing habit.
    My writing does exist in the module, mostly in the prologue and appendices, than in the primary adventure. I created the outline, defined the encounters, and spent days and days, fixing storyline inconsistencies after everyone's writing was complete.

My style of writing kind of dances around. I'll have a 30 word complex sentence, right next to a one or two word sentence. I write mostly "as I speak", but I tend to be more descriptive and wordy. Of course, I misspell, more so when I'm in a hurry, and aren't as organized in concept placement as I wished. My worst problem is I'll create new stuff in Xara, which doesn't have a spell-checker or an easy means of post editing, except using Xara only. I should do all my work in Open Office or Word, then move to final format in Xara. Doing that is where some of the errors are occuring.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10-20-2009 at 07:17 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Worry not, I'm not attempting to blame anybody... simply assist. Its a flaw of being my mother's son to see typos and grammar errors and go crazy... but good stories deserve good formatting and grammar. The world seems to have forgotten that that doesn't mean the writers have to be grammatically correct 100% of the time... and that copy-editing isn't a punishment... its a step in the process.

It's also a step that really good publishers have been skipping lately... or only doing half-jobs on... (never rely on a single C.E. no matter how good they are, because people are human, a single C.E. and writer won't catch everything, there's nothing wrong with that...its just a fact of life)...

Also to be honest... the things I'm seeing in the Alpha are by far and wide not that bad. This is all really really good stuff, and rather simple to fix... I've worked with people who've finished college, in Language and Arts fields, who's material can't even be read...

Then there's my crap... which I write, pass to someone, pass the edited copy to my mother... listen to the horror that is her correcting things... and then re-read as if I'd never seen it before. Then it goes back to my mother... and then, I might post it or turn it in (if its a school thing).

Anywho enough public yammering... I'll say one more thing here... GP and Juggernaught... pass as much of the alpha's update to me as you have ready... don't worry about formatting or any of that mess... I'll take unedited dump text if that's what you've got... on Friday. I have a computer to build, and a scenerio to re-write this week, so I'm swamped... but all I've got Saturday is 2 PF characters to generate and some housecleaning(bleh)... So I can start then... If Friday's too quick, wait til after Halloween... I'll be spending that week getting ready to run either The Gift... or the Pythoness House from Ptolus...
    Last edited by Notsonoble; 10-20-2009 at 07:41 PM.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Post Issues addressed...

So, the issues I was having with my "publisher" seems to have been addressed and we'll now be able to move forward with the Kaidan project. I now have in contract 51% ownership and the status as co-publisher. The previous contract had me relegated as a writer and no ownership of Kaidan - that was the problem, now its fixed.

Not-so-Noble, if you have any possible spelling/grammar corrections for Kaidan, I am fine with receiving any updates - I'll make sure I give you credit as one of the editors/proof readers in an updated version of the Gift and in the remaining two upcoming modules.

Moving forward now.

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Glad to see you got things worked out GP.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    So, the issues I was having with my "publisher" seems to have been addressed and we'll now be able to move forward with the Kaidan project. I now have in contract 51% ownership and the status as co-publisher. The previous contract had me relegated as a writer and no ownership of Kaidan - that was the problem, now its fixed.

Not-so-Noble, if you have any possible spelling/grammar corrections for Kaidan, I am fine with receiving any updates - I'll make sure I give you credit as one of the editors/proof readers in an updated version of the Gift and in the remaining two upcoming modules.

Moving forward now.

GP

I didn't think about updating The Gift, but if you'd like I can get to that... It's good to hear that you got things straightened out...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

GP - that's great news. I'm really pleased this got resolved amicably. It would have been terrible for all of this work to be held back even more. Good luck with shepherding it the last few steps to publication.

GP> Good news on the contract change. And maybe a lesson to a large number of us writers and module creators... keep some ownership and you get to keep more control of the product and its course to being in the hands of gamers...
    "Sacrificing minions... is there any problem it cannot solve?" - Order of the Stick

Some of the books I have written, or am still writing...
    My Lulu Store

Post Broke even already!

Nothing glorious, but I've sold 42 downloads of The Gift: Part 1 from all different sales channels - my site, D5 site, RPG Now, Paizo Store and Drive Thru RPG. So far no advertising, just forum posts and word of mouth - in just 2 weeks. I've already broke even, on my cost in the adventure and made $100 while even sharing profits with publisher and online store cut.

Got a banner ad going up on EnWorld next week, and RoleplayingTips Newsletter with an ad next week - so we'll see if there's any improvements.

Still I'm happy to get this much in such a short time, wish it was a landslide, but I have to realistic, still happy!

GP
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast