Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Working on a publication: Kaidan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

From Wikipedia: Manga are comics and print cartoons (sometimes also called komikku), in the Japanese language and conforming to the style developed in Japan in the late 20th century.

Anime (taken from half of the Japanese pronunciation of "animation") is animation in Japan and considered to be "Japanese animation" in the rest of the world.

And GP, that artist is the shiz.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Yep, Atreides is really good and getting better fast. The top down illustration with the flying dragon is stunning.

Post Some of Hokusai's work is called Manga

Although technically not related, there are a series of sketches done by Hokusai the Ukiyo-e master whose career was during the first half of the 19th century, that were called Manga.

They were somewhat "cartoony" in style. I think the original term for Manga meant "sketch".

The modern term basically means "cartoon". The style of course, is big eyes, etc.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Absolutely fantastic news GP! Exactly what you were looking for and then some. You deserve some serious kudos and I look forward to seeing the material as it comes out. Well done.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What they said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

what Long Ears said
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Congratulations. That is really excellent news.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Just had to chime in one more time ... knowing how passionate you are I'm sure this project will turn out flawless and with a huge sweeping scale. I haven't played D & D for 20 some odd years but I'm actually looking forward to finding a hobby store to buy it once it comes out if for nothing else than to say "I know this guy, he's a friend of mine, we hang out all the time."
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Post Artists for the Kaidan Project

So having done many professional cartography commissions I know the business from the artist's side, but never before had I played the role of Art Director. But that has been my primary chore the last week or so.

I've heard mention on the various forums, some people buy D&D products just for the art, and with that thought in mind, hopefully my artist lineup will make the product that much more a must have.

I posted the link to one of the artists earlier in the thread - Simon Turnbull (aka Atreides) and I'll do it again below. But now I have two more artists on board.

Simon Turnbull's art

One artist is Jan Posposil (aka Merlkir) of South Africa is currently doing sketches for the cover and one full color interior shot of a samurai and a PC western armored fighter in combat, plus several B/W pieces.

Jan Pospisil's art

The last artist, so far and really the most renowned is Mark Hyzer who has done art for WotC Magic the Gathering CCG. His stuff is especially creepy, but he'll create work for the Yurei ghosts, Demon-Spirits and denizens of the Hell Realm. Since he has the most recognition, he's also the most expensive, so I see one full color page, and several B/W pieces. Note: Mark's art is 18+, some nudity here.

Mark Hyzer's art

A few others will be doing some Pro Bono work, that hopefully I can pay them once the publication is being sold online.

No doubt, I'll include a few of my own illustrations and of course all the maps, as well as using some public domain art, mostly Japanese Ukiyo-e art is filler.

Looks like the project should be ready for publication by the third week of June. I've created the outline, and its currently being written by Andy Champaign a published writer and my collaborator on the publication at Dementia 5.

So things are moving forward - enjoy the art in the links!

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-22-2009 at 11:41 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Some of Mark Hyzer's art, to me at least, has a bit of a 'Geiger-esque' feel to it.

Congrats again GP good to see so many of my guild friends meeting with success!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast