Thread: Mollyswharfe city map

Map Mollyswharfe city map

It seems my maps are like the buses...nothing for ages and then two at once.

I made my first city map recently for the July challenge. I used a generator for the buildings, and it was so easy to work with. I wanted to try making another, because I enjoyed the process a lot. I tried with the generator again, but then I started tweaking and messing about and it just wasn't working for me, so I binned it and started again from scratch. I suppose that makes this my first real city map?

There are probably a ton of mistakes and things I didn't think about (which I'll be happy to have pointed out to me!), but on the whole I quite like the result. It was a lot of fun to work on. My thinking was that it started out as a small defensive settlement at the confluence of two rivers, and it spread out from there as times became more peaceful and prosperous, and it's now a small port & trade city.

Made in Affinity Designer, with some grunging up in Affinity Photo.

If anything seems awry, or you have thoughts on what could be better, I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mollyswharf-final.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	7.93 MB 
ID:	124367
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Looks pretty dope.

Nice job, I like very much the green monochromatich choice, so my only doubt is about the decision you made to "color" the market places.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    Looks pretty dope.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkin View Post
    Nice job, I like very much the green monochromatich choice, so my only doubt is about the decision you made to "color" the market places.
    Cheers
    Yeah, that's fair. I wanted to add some colour to make the markets stand out a bit, but I wasn't entirely satisfied with how they turned out. Would probably have been better to stay 'on theme' with the colouring. Thanks for commenting.

I really love the colors and textures here : so simple, but just perfect for me.
    There's some choices I would have done differently for the streets and how the buildings are arranged, but it's 100% nitpicking here. One point which catch my attention is also the two entries of the Citadel, going through towers. Round towers are solid, dense and heavy structures and it's not easy to have wide gates going through them. Most of the medieval gates used to be between two round towers or under a square tower, so the forces are easier to distribute without any weakness. I'm not saying it's impossible, just maybe unusual, and maybe not very wise : those structures could be easy to fell ^^
    But still... 'love this map a lot, Chickpea, and it's so good to see you around ! ^^

Thanks so much for your comments and feedback, MistyBeee. I hadn't thought about the problem of gates in round towers, and appreciate the info. I'll know better next time! I'm glad you like the map, it means a lot.

I like it, it's a nice use of the program, cool map. I would have stuck with maybe a couple of colors in the market, keeping it from going all green but not having a full blown color explosion when everything else is muted. I don't mind having some non-green in there, though I do like the green in general. I think I would have used orange, yellow, or purple as that extra pop color.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Very nice and efficient map! The green tones are unusual for a city map, and yet, it works very well!
    Glad to see you mapping again, CP!

I like your choice of a limited color palette, it really gives the map a strong identity.

It's also quite pleasing to the eye.

Maybe the use of a unique color for the market places could have helped them stand out a little more.

Pretty good job anyway !
    My Website
    You can also find my work on :

Twitter . Instagram . Artstation . Behance

Praise Excellent work.

Wow. I love the smoothness of these contours. Very professional.