Thread: The World of Mir

Map The World of Mir

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mir small.png 
Views:	319 
Size:	9.26 MB 
ID:	124650

Author's Notes
    This is the map of the world of Mir, where all my Dungeons and Dragons campaigns have taken place. This is my first map, I started it before I did the Regional Map of Jura. It took almost 9 months to complete. The original size is 5,000 by 3,500 px. I used GIMP and an Intuos 4 that had not been opened since it was gifted to me in December 2009 because I kept thinking "I don't have a cool project to use it on".

A huge thank you to Jonathan Roberts (Torstan), Artifexian , and Brandon Harris (@jorm) for their great tutorials; to my brother for gifting me the tablet (told you I would use it); and an extra HUGE THANKS to my wife for being so patient with me as I was doing this.
    Last edited by Almajis; 08-28-2020 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Made a mistake when uploading the map. This one has a scale bar.

2009! That Intuos has been waiting for its moment! It served you well though, this is a prettily fantasified version of Europe. ^^ I hope you're proud of it.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Fascinating! It bears a striking resemblance to Europe.

2009! That Intuos has been waiting for its moment!
    Hahaha indeed it waited more than enough. Now I'll keep producing maps to make up for the lost time.

Quote Originally Posted by mapmage View Post
    Fascinating! It bears a striking resemblance to Europe.
    Hehe yeah. Because I played with people that have never done a TTRPG I wanted the places to feel familiar amidst the unfamiliarity of the game system.

It is very nice, but I spy with my little eye the "Heart of the Dessert". Unless that's big mounds of ice cream, you've got an extra "s". I also would ask if "Crimtson Sea" is correct, given that since it is analogous to the Red Sea, you might have just wanted to change the shade. The alternative fantasy mutation of Europe and the Mediterranean is a pretty common map type, but you've done a good job of hitting the balance between familiar enough to gain from the analogies while changing enough to be interesting.

Very nice indeed. I like the way the ocean is coloured and the subtle bewel on the coastlines is a nice touch. From a design perspective I'd say there are a few too many fonts used here to make for a harmonious typography, but it's not a huge issue. Congrats on getting the map done, sounds like it's been in the making for a while!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

OMG, thanks for spotting those! I've been using it for almost 2 years in my D&D Campaign and no one had noticed LOL. I'll update it.