Thread: Greetings from Ukraine!

Map Greetings from Ukraine!

Hello everyone!
    My name is Ioan and although I'm completely new to here I'm already fascinated by this place!
    It hasn't been a long time since I realised my interest for cartography, but I feel it has always been hidden within me. I'm sure a lot of people here know exactly what I mean

I'm originally interested in hand-drawing fantasy or medieval style maps. But I've been boosted, propelled considerably into the field of mapmaking by getting involved in a project which is in need of maps looking like historical ones of +-18th - 19th century. I'm just starting, and hope to find here some info on making such maps too. And on how to digitise hand-drawn maps and applying to them some post-effects in Photoshop (or elsewhere).

Using this occasion of introducing myself I'd like to share my very first map. It's not a fantasy map, but the style is basically of that kind. The names and the lettering are historically correct for the chosen place and period, or at least I've tried my best to ensure that, nuances may be subject to a discussion. The idea and inspiration are due to my recent interest in Old English and Anglo-Saxon England generally.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map of Old England.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	964.5 KB 
ID:	124667

Among other things I'm also greatly interested in calligraphy and composing music, where the fantasy/medieval-like style is also one of my major preferences.

Excited to join this community, looking forward to making maps and meeting fellows here!
    Last edited by Zioan; 08-30-2020 at 01:57 AM.

Welcome to the Guild Ioan! I’m glad you decided to join us. It sounds like you have some interesting projects lined up. I really enjoy 18th and 19th century style maps as well.

I look forward to seeing you around and seeing more of your work. I like the map you shared quite a bit

- Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JoshStolarz View Post
    Welcome to the Guild Ioan! I’m glad you decided to join us. It sounds like you have some interesting projects lined up. I really enjoy 18th and 19th century style maps as well.

I look forward to seeing you around and seeing more of your work. I like the map you shared quite a bit :)

- Josh
    Thank you, Josh! :)
    I'm working now on this map in Photoshop, making the digital version with effects. Very exciting process! I hope I'll have some new maps to share too (and get some useful critique, so that I could improve :) )
    See you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zioan View Post
    Thank you, Josh!
    I'm working now on this map in Photoshop, making the digital version with effects. Very exciting process! I hope I'll have some new maps to share too (and get some useful critique, so that I could improve )
    See you!
    Ah very nice. I work primarily in Procreate on the IPad these days but I’ve done my fair share of maps in Photoshop as well.

See you around!
    - Josh

Hello, friend!