Thread: [Award Winner] Photoshop Mapping with Chuck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Part 6

Now that your terrain is good, you can label places on the map, use dots to denote cities, and even make roads by using a brush with settings like these (see step29 and step30).

Now we begin to make things really spiffy. Pull out that parchment you downloaded, fit it to the size of you map, and set it on multiply. If you put everything in your map that you’ve worked on so far inside a group, you can select the outside of the parchment and use a layer mask on the group to mask out what is outside the paper.

Other touch-ups include things like burnt edges, which would just be a new layer stroked inside the parchment selection with about 100 pixels, Gaussian blurred, and set on multiply. You could also add blood or ink splatters, play with levels, or whatever you can think of.

I have attached what I ended up with by the end of my tutorial-writing. I hope I helped someone with this tutorial, even just one person.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step29.JPG 
Views:	315 
Size:	158.9 KB 
ID:	11391   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	step30.JPG 
Views:	507 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	11392   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tutorialmap.jpg 
Views:	1741 
Size:	4.57 MB 
ID:	11393  
    Last edited by overlordchuck; 03-18-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Wow. Thanks for the tutorial. Definitely like the look of this - I just nned to get photoshop to do this.