Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Mountain Technique using Wilbur and the Gimp

Rated the thread a five, repped Vandy. Need to spread the rep around. Apparently I've been stingy with the rep of... forever.

Now that I can run Wilbur on my computer, I'm eager to see more tuts on this.

Hello new here... came over from the CBG.

Anyways. I would just like to say thank you Torq, for an outstanding and easy to follow tutorial and to Vandy for pdfing it.

I've had the hardest time with mountains, never liking how they came out. Below is the result of following your tutorial (added some snowcaps).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map2.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	265.6 KB 
ID:	11730  

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Poseptune - have some rep for posting a map with your first post

Welcome to the guild and continue to post any and all works in progress We have a forum for that sort of stuff where people are quite willing to make suggestions or help you out when you hit a rough spot.

Also, you should drop by the Intro forum and post something about yourself.

Welcome again
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Thanks Korash and Poseptune for posting your results. Its great to see you getting use out of the tutorial. In both mpas I think the mountains came out very nicely. Its interesting to see you both used very similar colour schemes. I found the blue of the sea on my tutorial effort too intense and desaturated it a lot.

Thanks for trying the tut.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Quote Originally Posted by Korash View Post

Also, for some reason, I seem to have a few places where either the water is showing through the land or the land is blurred on the water. What did I do wrong?
    Sorry Korash, I must have missed this question when you originally posted it. The effect you describe is caused by the Gimp setting in the "Select by colour" tool. I think it is caused by using "Select transparent areas" rather than "choose whole selection" when you choose bits of the greyscale map.

I think it looks quite goos with the semi-tranparent areas though.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

So, I wanted to play around with this but almost immediately ran into a snag. I use Photoshop rather than GIMP, which usually is fine. When it came time to make the bumpmap of the river, I found myself unable to do so.

Now, I consider myself fairly fluent in PS, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but is there a way to make a bumpmap like that in PS?

If I understand you correctly, O Overlord, what you are looking for is the lighting effects filter. An important issue with that is that(at least as of PS CS1) the lighting effects filter only works in 8-bit. I do most of my hillshade work in wilbur or landserf anymore, though, so that's less of an issue.

I tried lighting effects, but it did not quite do the same thing. It's the same basic principle, I guess, but I cannot find a way to select only the rivers or mountains or whatever.

I know its been a while since anyone posted here, but I decided to give Torq's tut a try.

Believe it or not, but the attached map was done in only 15 minutes. Not the best work I could do, but not bad for 15 minutes.

Might give it another try and spend more time on doing a better map.

Thanks for such a great tut Torq.

BTW: How does one give Rep? (Will also search for answer)

rmfr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TorqTry001.png 
Views:	59 
Size:	4.36 MB 
ID:	29581  
    Perhaps imagination is only intelligence having fun. - Albert Einstein

A good friend will come down and bail you out of jail. A best friend will be in jail with you and say, "Dude, we screwed up."

ooooh.. I'm gonna try this right now!! I'm SO glad I kept GIMP after I bought PSP
    I used Old Guys Realistic Coastline Tutorial modified for PSPx3.
    How's It Looking? - Please provide me with your input.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast