Thread: How do you draw your trees

Discuss How do you draw your trees

I'm making a hand-drawn, viking themed map for funsies (definitely using the Banner Saga's map for reference) and I want to add some terrain features. I LOVE the way the mountains turned out before I smudged them (worry not, this is just a test draft) and I want to add some trees too, but I haven't been able to find anything that I'm happy with. I'm using speedball dip pens for the art work, and part of the problem is that none of the nibs I have are very good at lots of quick, close strokes. I'm using parchment and my finest tip was picking up a bit of fiber and I think that's what caused the blotchy-ness. I already did some looking into biome keys on hand drawn maps, but I haven't found anything I like. Anyone have any suggestions that fit with the theme? I like the density of the mountains and I think the trees work well with it, but they're a little too round and a little to cartoonish.

P.S. This is my first post, so be gentle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	2.00 MB 
ID:	124990

Perhaps you could carve a tree stamp.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

I like what you're doing. I started to experiment inking with with a fine tip brush pen and loved the look. Do you mind sharing a pic of the ink set you are using?

With regards to the forests/trees, as I am only starring out myself I look forward to learning along with you.
    View my website and Instagram

My general process usually includes drawing a tree, staring at it in despair, then drawing another one and another one until I have a whole wood of them, and then stare at them in despair again and complain to anyone who will listen just how much I hate my trees. Erase them and start the same thing over. Finally accept that I can't do them better, and again complain to someone but this time just leave the damn things in there. Repeat this until all the forest are done.

Yeah. I love making maps but man are forests not my strong suit!

In all seriousness, I think the style you were testing there works quite well with the other elements. I love the Banner Saga map as well, it's very inspiring. Just keep experimenting and you should find a way that suits your needs. Welcome to the Guild!
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.