Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tabletia

looking pretty sweet Ascension. As for the mountains i think they look great individually but indeed together the ranges dont seem natural. they look like a collection of peaks and not like an "interconnected range". so maybe you can try to link peaks more by using shading and more complexe shapes as torstan picted above. Also maybe more variation in range-width and more branches may help. mountains take ages to create (so unless you're god it probs will take more then 7 days Still in general I really like where this is going. cheers

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I was referring more to the general layout than the individual shapes - my range is straight and not really free-flowing. Regarding the shapes; I have a vast amount of individual shapes so it's hard to vary them up a lot. Mental block there for me - I try funky shapes but they look stupid so I stay basic. I do like that tower looking thing with the sharp peaks around it but trying to come up with hundreds of individual stylish peaks kills me. Also that ridge running down the side, I can never get mine to look good - another block there. At any rate I'll give em another go and keep trying. Maybe I should make them even bigger, muhahah
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Ah, in which case I'd go with a more fronded shape rather than srtaight lines. Give your central spine some branches and make it wander. Also, by adding a lighter central line on your mountain that acts as the edge between the light side and the dark side of the mountain you can use it to define the ridge of the mountain range:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	20167

Yep, that's the style I just can't seem to do. I was trying this tonight. I think the shapes are a lil better and it has a bit more natural feel...I hope.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabletia2.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	2.94 MB 
ID:	20175  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Looking really good. I like it.

After trying out 2 new mountain styles I said to myself, "Self, this sucks and takes forever. You're over-thinking it, wasting time, and it doesn't even match the trees or hills so why don't you just do mountains like hills...you know, the way you used to do it 25 years ago?" So to that end I scrapped everything and redid it all - in about 5 hours. New forests, new hatching, finished the rivers, and it all fits together. Sometimes it's best to just go back to the beginning and start there. The rivers are the 2-pixel hard square and everything else is the 3-pixel hard round...but I did double up on the layers to make them darker and put a light black glow around the lines. I'm finally somewhat happy and ready to move on - thinking up new terrain ideas to put in for practice...like swamps, mesas, and dunes to start with.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabletia2.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	3.92 MB 
ID:	20216  

It's looking really nice Did you draw the squigglies for the coastlines too, or is that a filter?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff here Ascension!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

... and all the time you've put into it has paid off. That looks great. You're dead right about the consistency of style. It all ties together nicely. If I didn't know you were going to colour it I'd say stick some labels on it and call it done!

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Ascension, when you say you're looking to make the mountains realistic looking - are you talking about the layout or each mountain individually?

If it's each mountain individually then I'd suggest that you're trying to make them a little too triangular.

Here's some suggestions on shape and style that might be useful. Feel free to ignore though.

Attachment 20154
    I agree. While mine are still a bit more equalatiral triangle shape than not, if you notice on my Baldimar map, that I use quite a bit of different shapes throw in. Perhaps I should add some that are a bit more wider that flatter...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast