Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tabletia

Guild Adept Facebook Connected RjBeals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by torstan View Post
    Ah, in which case I'd go with a more fronded shape rather than srtaight lines. Give your central spine some branches and make it wander. Also, by adding a lighter central line on your mountain that acts as the edge between the light side and the dark side of the mountain you can use it to define the ridge of the mountain range:

Attachment 20167

Fun reading through this thread and watching the map develop. I also got my tablet for christmas and have been learning many new techniques.

I just wanted to highlight this post from torstan because for being such a short sweet & simple statement - it's an extremely helpful point. If I had rep I would throw it your way

And earlier in the thread I read about wasting hours and hours on small little details. My hand is also in the air - but sometimes it takes me months to work on a map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

No problem, glad it was useful.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

The new style works very well. Looks great!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Here's where I am right now, mostly decorating with little things and redid the woodcut...not sure it's any better, though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabletia2.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	4.24 MB 
ID:	20379  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Love it!

The iconography is clear - the spider is really great. The mountains look really good and blend nicely into the hills. Excellent work all round.

Two minor points at this stage:

1. The farm texture is too top down, it needs to be shrunk in the vertical direction to blend into the isometric perspective. At the moment the pattern is almost square.
    2. Your trees drop shadow needs to come further forward (down the map). At the moment, the tree shadows are just covering the trunks - suggesting a lightsource from SW or due W. Everything else is lit from NW. Also, I think the tree to the SE of the spider is tall enough to not be in shadow there.

Your town symbols are great. The woodcut shadow works like a dream. It really ties the map together with one style. Excellent work.

Blog Entries

It looks great, Ascension. Loved the spider.

I have to agree with Torstan though on the farmlands being too top-down with the perspective.

Other than that, great stuff as per usual.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

This just gets better. Love all the little details developing around the map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Cool stuff here my friend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ok, I've just about had it with the illustration stuff. As Popeye says, "I've had all I can stands, I can't stands no more." Gotta get back to work on other things for a bit but I'll color this up and put some labels on sometime soon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tabletia2.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	3.45 MB 
ID:	21382  
    Last edited by Ascension; 01-23-2010 at 10:07 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast