Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

I'd just point out that you need some really weird microclimate effects to have tundras both in the north and south of your region and that a cold desert in the far northeast, north of the tundra region, is also going to need an explanation.

Thanks ravells.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukc View Post
    I'd just point out that you need some really weird microclimate effects to have tundras both in the north and south of your region and that a cold desert in the far northeast, north of the tundra region, is also going to need an explanation.
    Thanks for your comment Lukc. It was worth making me look at the climate maps again. Detail for the whole "world" is pretty well covered on the first couple of pages but it was a little tricky to see the detail for the part I'm working on so I agree they should be clearer. I have picked the important details from this part and combined it all onto a single map.

I'm using the Köppen climate classification. The five major climate classifications are:

A - Moist Tropical Climates are known for their high temperatures year round and for their large amount of year round rain. - None on this map
    B - Dry Climates are characterized by little rain and a huge daily temperature range. - The North East of the map comes under B although the temperature means it will be more like the steppes than sand dunes.
    C - In Humid Middle Latitude Climates land/water differences play a large part. These climates have warm,dry summers and cool, wet winters. - Given the lattitude C will mostly be temperate forest.
    D - Continental Climates can be found in the interior regions of large land masses. Total precipitation is not very high and seasonal temperatures vary widely. - Complicated but I have choosen to interprate the either grassland or boreal forest depending on the terrain.
    E - Cold Climates describe this climate type perfectly. These climates are part of areas where permanent ice and tundra are always present. Only about four months of the year have above freezing temperatures. - Not much but the extreme south and island chain will be icebound during the winter.
    Type 1 climates are from 0 - 30 degrees and type 2 60 - 90 degrees.

As always any comments and pointers gratefully received. Making this map has really refocused my mind on what should be where.

[EDIT] Actually i have enjoyed making this map so much I might go through and try and make a 'pretty' climate map before carrying on with the arty one.

Korba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp2.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	39875
    Last edited by Korba; 11-13-2011 at 11:06 AM.

So just for a bit of fun and clearly mark the terrains, I have done a prettier version of the previous map.

Back onto the proper one now!

Korba

Name:	web1.png 
Views:	104 
Size:	408.3 KB 
ID:	39951

I have managed to make a bit of progress with the mountains and forest. Seem I made a mistake very early on and the mountain range should be a relic rift valley so thats the currently odd looking thing in the north west of the map.

Korba

Name:	Web2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	200.4 KB 
ID:	40043

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

This is looking pretty nifty. For some reason, the tilted lat/long lines really make it pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is looking pretty nifty. For some reason, the tilted lat/long lines really make it pop.
    Cheers Diamond

Been doing a bit of work on the forest, rift and mountains. I can't quite get the rift to sit right in the terrain though. If anyone could point me towards an example I would be very grateful.

Need to extend the mountain range and work on tundra, grassland and swamp effects now.

Korba

Name:	Web5.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	40128

After much lurking (and slacking!) I'm going to make yet another attempt to progress with this map. However in a slight change of direction I'm going to follow the excellent tutorial posted by Tear. I have a had a very quick follow through and think it's a style that fits the map well and might even let me get some of it finished! WIP's to come soon.

Korba

Coast and ocean progressing

Name:	Calen-Ndor09.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	61060

Blog Entries

I like that color choice

It's REALLY bright around the land, though... maybe will not be as bad with the land filled in, but atm it hurts my eyes D:
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I like that color choice

It's REALLY bright around the land, though... maybe will not be as bad with the land filled in, but atm it hurts my eyes D:
    Thanks and interesting about the colors, on my screen it's muted and not bright, anyone else think it's over bright? (I did run a monitor calibration to check)

I have added some mountains / hills as an experiment. I like their style but not the positions but a pleasing first attempt, and one river also as a test.

Korba

Name:	Calen-Ndor10.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	61070

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast