Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    This is looking pretty nifty. For some reason, the tilted lat/long lines really make it pop.
    Cheers Diamond

Been doing a bit of work on the forest, rift and mountains. I can't quite get the rift to sit right in the terrain though. If anyone could point me towards an example I would be very grateful.

Need to extend the mountain range and work on tundra, grassland and swamp effects now.

Korba

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Web5.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	40128

After much lurking (and slacking!) I'm going to make yet another attempt to progress with this map. However in a slight change of direction I'm going to follow the excellent tutorial posted by Tear. I have a had a very quick follow through and think it's a style that fits the map well and might even let me get some of it finished! WIP's to come soon.

Korba

Coast and ocean progressing

Name:	Calen-Ndor09.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	206.7 KB 
ID:	61060

Blog Entries

I like that color choice

It's REALLY bright around the land, though... maybe will not be as bad with the land filled in, but atm it hurts my eyes D:
    Have you "liked" a post today?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalyha View Post
    I like that color choice

It's REALLY bright around the land, though... maybe will not be as bad with the land filled in, but atm it hurts my eyes D:
    Thanks and interesting about the colors, on my screen it's muted and not bright, anyone else think it's over bright? (I did run a monitor calibration to check)

I have added some mountains / hills as an experiment. I like their style but not the positions but a pleasing first attempt, and one river also as a test.

Korba

Name:	Calen-Ndor10.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	485.6 KB 
ID:	61070

Blog Entries

Actually, adding the land fixed it... must have been the white that was making it so bright..

It's still kind of glow-y

(Does anyone else see this or just me???)

Sometimes I see things funny :/

Anyway I like your mountains!

Thanks Jalyha, glad it doesn't look so bright now.

Redone the mountains and changed the base color to match my climate map, also added rivers back in. Much happier how it's looking this time

Korba

Name:	Calen-Ndor12.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	61084

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

concerning your climates: keep in mind that mountains tend to block influx and outflow of heat, moisture etc. Two regions on the same latitude on different sides of a mountain range can (and often do) have very different climates. Climate zones tend to gradually flow into one another when the terrain permits it, and have sharp borders when there's mountain ridges involved.

If I read your map correctly, the southern regions are covered in snow. I don't think the climate would get any warmer as you move North, since the mountains should normally block any heat from pouring in. Both southwestern valleys would be Arctic throughout, even their northern tips.

Same goes for water, by the way: the narrower of those valleys is landlocked on 3 sides, and the southern sea seems to cold for much evapotranspiration. The river in that valley should therefore be far smaller than it is now, or disappear altogether.

That said, I must say I love the general shape of your continent, and your colour scheme is pretty awesome too!
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-06-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Also, mountain ranges are seldom perpendicular to the coast. At least, there are very few examples of that in the real world. And those that do, usually shape the coastline in the form of lovely pointy extrusions ( think Kamchatka). Those two parallel mountain ranges in the northwest end in bays, and that's very, very peculiar indeed.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Blog Entries

Uh... huh?

This is where I get confused... wouldn't the mountains on 3 sides form like... a bowl shape, and catch the rainfall in the center? The rain falls from the sky *above* the mountains, right? So it should fall equally on any side? Someone tried to explain that once, but I didn't get it >.<

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast