Thread: WIP World of Calen Ndor

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

I love building and watching a world built like this, Keep Going!

Thanks for the support Lathorien

I used the very rough island outlines and RobA's Making Not So Random Coastlines in GIMP in Photoshop to create a more realistic coastline. It was absolutely perfect for the island chains, i selected each one in turn with a lasso tool and used the threshold adjustment to get them nice and broken up.

The main island shapes need a bit of work but that will vary depending on river paths, mountains, deltas and ocean currents so they can stay as are for the time being. The island chains I'm very pleased with.

This gave me a slightly tidier version of my last map. Dark green will be mountains and light green rift valleys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calen Ndor06.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	11532

To go onto the next section i needed to add the important latitude lines. From a climate point of view these are the equator (0), 30 and 60 degrees rather than the 23 and 66 degrees usually marked on a map (tropic of Capricorn, Cancer, the Arctic and Antarctic circles).

I'm going to ignore any axial tilt (which produces the seasons). these can be added later when needed to add spice to an individual map. Instead I'm going to assume all incoming solar radiation is equal. This is obviously greater at the equator at less towards the poles. This means ignoring all other factors the temperature map of Calen Ndor looks as below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calen Ndor07.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	11533

The next stage gets into Atmospheric circulation and therefore much more complicated so I'm going back to my text books!