Hi all. My name is Mal. I live in the North of England and am of a "certain age."
I have always loved maps as things of use and works of art in their own right Many years ago -1988, whilst studying for an honours degree, there was one day a week when I had to travel to uni, a 60 mile round trip, for one lecture. On that day though, the Cartography lectures and seminars were on, so even though it wasn't really anything to do with the course I was on (Modern Humanities) I asked if I could sit in on the sessions.
It fuelled a lifelong passion and gave me some of the skills I needed to create maps for my hobbies -RPGs and Historic Wargames. This was, of course, just at the dawn of the age of computers when the sort of thing I needed still had to be hand drawn.
A recent discussion on Facebook set me off on a new project -an “atlas” of Napoleonic Europe. Not a Napoleonic atlas showing battles et al, but a map of Europe as it would have been at the time. Looking for resources I happened upon this group and hopefully, here I will find the skills and mentorship I need to complete what is daily becoming an increasingly daunting project.
There are just so many things I need to know, so many questions I want to ask!!