Thread: B&W map for fantasy paperback.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Sundridge, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Default B&W map for fantasy paperback.

Hi,

I'm looking for someone to draw a fantasy map to accompany my Print on Demand Fantasy gamebook.

Project Scope:
    A double-page paperback sized b&w fantasy map in the style of Fighting Fantasy / Lone Wolf gamebooks. For print.

Setting:
    Fantasy landscape

Design Concept:
    These types have books nod to the past, and for that reason handdrawn, or appearing handdrawn feels more authentic and in keeping with the genre. I can provide a rough map of course, and placenames. 4 Towns, a forest, hills, several seas, some fantasy features etc.

Number of maps:

Technical:
    300 dpi jpg or png file.
    Full colour map.

Copyright:
    Reproduction rights to the map for this sole purpose. The artist will retain copyright - I will have the right to use the image for commercial purposes.

Deadline:
    Dec 2020

Payment:
    $200, (happy to pay 50% upfront) payable via Paypal upon delivery of the final files, a copy of the book and credit.

Contact
    Marc Wlson marcjwilson(at)gmail(dot)com

Get in touch!
    Cheers
    Marc

Hello, Marc!

200$ for this kind of work is a little too low. Im'n interested in this project if you are ready to rise up a price. Feel free to contact me at vdm.bulgakov@gmail.com and we can discuss everything.

You can see my portfolio here - https://www.artstation.com/vb_maps and here - https://www.instagram.com/vb.maps/

Thank you in advance.

I second what vb said above, but I'm also interested in hearing more about your project. I've had some experience making maps for fantasy novels as well.

Can you clarify something though: your post title indicates you want a B&W map, but your technical specs say full color.

https://www.greatwhitenorthcartography.com/

https://www.cartographersguild.com/album.php?u=86376

Please take a look at my work and send me a message at zacharybodenner AT gmail DOT com if you are interested in talking further.

I second what others said, I might be interested as well, I am a 2d and 3d artist and you can check my portfolio here and if you should be interested you can contact me there or mail me at tonelstef@msn.com .

Normally I'm on the side of the other pros, but I don't think $200 is low for a pen and ink style map that contains a total of four towns. That sounds like a quite modest scope of a map. I make the amount hourly I expect and desire taking commissions lower than that for maps of similar scope. This is the easiest bread and butter of mapping. It is way faster than doing a world or a city. o_O A couple of these rang in higher due to the client's desires to have more ownership / flexibility reselling / hand lettering. A few of these had both color and B/W variations (a simple parchment texture coloration and B/W variant is permitted in this price bracket as a delivery). Your post says you want both color and B/W, was that a mistake? If it was not, it can be arranged with me.

Please enjoy a spread of some of the black and white maps I made for books. I've done quite a lot, but most of these were from this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thule map small watermarked.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	126046Click image for larger version. 

Name:	miketmaptwohighres-bw.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	920.4 KB 
ID:	126047Click image for larger version. 

Name:	max map small watermarked.jpg 
Size:	532.3 KB 
ID:	126048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jack-chroniclesofthehealer2pagespread.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	126049Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bianjing and linshi town for Jacob bw version.jpg 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	126050Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kalirosestrangerritualsmapsmallwatermark.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	369.9 KB 
ID:	126051Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ithos-lowres watermarked.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	821.6 KB 
ID:	126052

I also have a fantasy map portfolio but due to time constraints not all of these maps have made it in, so please enjoy the specific selection of maps most like what you want.

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Good day, I would be able to help with this project as well! I specialize in hand drawn maps that would perfectly fit into a print medium. My portfolio is here, and you can contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Cheers,
    Greendino
    Dungeon master, World Builder, and Mapmaker.
    Taking Commissions
    View my Portfolio
    Contact me at greendinomaps@gmail.com

Hi Marc,

Sent you an email with links to my portfolio. You should receive it from sergiocolauttiart@gmail.com

Cheers!
    Sergio

Guild Novice Facebook Connected
    Sundridge, Bromley, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Thank you all for you replies - I will be sure to check out everyone's work!