Thread: My first fantasy map

Discuss My first fantasy map

Hy everyone, i just did my first map.
    i did this map for some images that i have.
    I want to start a new map and i want to some feedback for improvement.
    Done the map in adobe illustrator and painted the shadows in Photoshop.
    Here are the images waiting for feedback thank you
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	7.56 MB 
ID:	126343

Black And White

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1f.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	126344

A very unique style you have, looks cool. I like how the mountains and coasts look, and I find it interesting that you'd make the lineart in Illustrator and only shade with Photoshop. I definitely do everything with PS when it comes to mapping. The colour version in particular looks nice, but I like how the little silhoutte animals look in the B/W one. Both I think work.

As for critique, I personally am not a huge fan of the portraits. They layout looks nice enough, but the detailed 3D renders in full colour don't really go with the style of the map, in my opinion. The trees could maybe also use some variation, they all look pretty identical at least to my eye.

A very nice first map. You should fit in well around here! Have some rep, and welcome to the Guild Need anything, just say the word.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Discuss Thank you Kellerica

Thank you very much for the feedback Kellerica, i love your maps.
    I have more control over the line in illustrator. I just started to use the drawing tablet in Photoshop and is a bit hard to do the lines very clean. I am practicing in Photoshop and soon i hope i will add a map, i think is easier in Photoshop.
    All the trees are the same and need variation i will keep that in mind and the portraits are not from this image maybe i will do drawings next time
    Thank you for encouraging me i will add more maps

For my money, if you want to make your linework a bit easier and smoother in Photoshop, you might want to check out LazyNezumi. I does have a license you have to buy, but I've found it more than a worthwhile investement and think the price is reasonable. Your mileage may vary of course, but maybe something to look into at least
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

I love your line work, it is very crisp and clean. I agree with Kellerica on the trees, the silhouettes and portraits. My only critiques would be the numbers don't have enough contrast in color or hue to "pop" on the map, I had to search for them once I realized they corresponded to the portraits. And the delineation of the southern shore line between water and land is not very clear. Perhaps adding a different texture if it is a beach or some rocks if it is rocky coast, etc? Outstanding first map, IMO.

- Ernie

Default :D

I had a look at that one, i will give it a try.
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    For my money, if you want to make your linework a bit easier and smoother in Photoshop, you might want to check out LazyNezumi. I does have a license you have to buy, but I've found it more than a worthwhile investement and think the price is reasonable. Your mileage may vary of course, but maybe something to look into at least

Discuss Ernie

Thank you very much, i look at the map you are write about shore, i need to do more variation on the map.
    Thank you again for your good feedback

Quote Originally Posted by eepjr24 View Post
    I love your line work, it is very crisp and clean. I agree with Kellerica on the trees, the silhouettes and portraits. My only critiques would be the numbers don't have enough contrast in color or hue to "pop" on the map, I had to search for them once I realized they corresponded to the portraits. And the delineation of the southern shore line between water and land is not very clear. Perhaps adding a different texture if it is a beach or some rocks if it is rocky coast, etc? Outstanding first map, IMO.

- Ernie