Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lantos - vector map

Map Lantos - vector map

Made another wee map, and I have gone all in on the bold colours once again.

Had a huge amount of fun with this one, and tried out a couple of new things, so it was a good experiment/practice too. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out, though I accept my colour choices will not be to everyone's tastes!! I'm kinda bored right now with 'traditional' map colouring, and I wanted to push the boundaries a bit, even if it's not exactly realistic. (I mean, it is a fantasy map, who says water should be blue!)

Made entirely in Inkscape apart from the land shape, which I created in Gimp & pasted into Inkscape, then used the Trace Bitmap function to get a vector version of it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lentos.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	126930
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I really like the style of this! It's clear and easily readable, but still detailed enough that the map doesn't look bland or boring. The whole layout looks nicely balanced.
    And I have no problem whatsoever with the colouring. It is a bit out there, yes, but the palette is harmonious and very pleasing to the eye.

If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the labels on the mountain ranges could maybe have used a tad wider stroke around them.

Nice work on this. Definitely one for the inspiration folder.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Oh, I love this style ! Vector maps often lack of personnality, but it's definitely not the case here. A real success, ChickPea !!

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

My sister, when she was younger, used to believe that the sky was blue because it was reflecting off of the ocean. I wonder if the sky in this world would be purple off of this logic?

As Kellerica says though, this map really does convey its meaning really clearly and appears very clear. Nice!

Love you clean style! Map looks little cartoony, but it cool.

It's clean and effective -- and I didn't bat an eye at the colors. Things work well enough together that nothing feels out of place.

It makes me think of how, in The Odyssey, Homer at one point uses the phrase "the wine-dark sea."

i love the colors. and the map and the details and the colors.

Very nice ! I like the idea of the shadows for the trees.
    The compass is also an excellent idea (and very nice illustration)! And surely, water bodies can be seen in many colours, even in our world . Looks great this way (no nitpick about colours on this one from me this time ).

Quote Originally Posted by Kellerica View Post
    I really like the style of this! It's clear and easily readable, but still detailed enough that the map doesn't look bland or boring. The whole layout looks nicely balanced.
    And I have no problem whatsoever with the colouring. It is a bit out there, yes, but the palette is harmonious and very pleasing to the eye.

If I had to nitpick on something, I'd say the labels on the mountain ranges could maybe have used a tad wider stroke around them.

Nice work on this. Definitely one for the inspiration folder.
    Thanks Kell. I'm so happy you like it! I think you're correct about the stroke on the mountain labels. A little more wouldn't have hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBeee View Post
    Oh, I love this style ! Vector maps often lack of personnality, but it's definitely not the case here. A real success, ChickPea !!
    Thanks so much, Beee! Vector maps can often be a little sterile compared to hand-drawn. I tried to get away from that as best as I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    My sister, when she was younger, used to believe that the sky was blue because it was reflecting off of the ocean. I wonder if the sky in this world would be purple off of this logic?

As Kellerica says though, this map really does convey its meaning really clearly and appears very clear. Nice!
    Thanks Arimel! Haha, I'm thinking there'll be amazing sunsets if the sky is purple Glad you like the map!

Quote Originally Posted by Narwen View Post
    Love you clean style! Map looks little cartoony, but it cool.
    Thanks! I can live with cartoony (it's vector after all!)

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    It's clean and effective -- and I didn't bat an eye at the colors. Things work well enough together that nothing feels out of place.

It makes me think of how, in The Odyssey, Homer at one point uses the phrase "the wine-dark sea."
    Thanks Joseph, I like the sound of wine-dark seas.

Quote Originally Posted by Levtrona View Post
    i love the colors. and the map and the details and the colors.
    Thanks, Levtrona

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Very nice ! I like the idea of the shadows for the trees.
    The compass is also an excellent idea (and very nice illustration)! And surely, water bodies can be seen in many colours, even in our world . Looks great this way (no nitpick about colours on this one from me this time ).
    Aw thanks, Ilanthar. I wasn't sure, after the last map, if I was going completely over the top once again haha!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

If the water is purple, does this mean the sky is purple too?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast