Thread: Gaijinoshima

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post I'd take the credit, but...

Thanks for the comments! I'd love to take credit for the water, but I cheated, that's a photograph of turbulent water placed seamlessly. Not that I could not attempt this in Photoshop/GIMP and have a reasonably same result - the photo was much easier and faster to work with. (I've got lots of maps to create and for publication soon, so I have to be expedient.)

If you look in my "software use" under my name, you'll notice Xara Xtreme Pro at the top. This is the software I use to create, composite or wrap up all my map work. Sometimes I use 3D (as in the case of the trees, the boat, and the buildings). Sometimes I "paint" with PS or GIMP, but not so in this map. Sometims I draw by hand (my regional map of Kaidan in the finished maps forum) however, I use Xara in all my work.

This map is almost exclusively using Xara, except for the 3D elements of course. There are a ton of photos composited into this map. The process is basically vector drawn shapes, with photo textures for "color", then use of transparency filters, edge feathering, some beveling and use of drop shadows - all built in features of Xara Xtreme...

I know, not what you wanted to hear, but that's the truth of the matter.

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 03-21-2009 at 03:03 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations