Thread: New map: a multi peninsular city on the edge of a desert

Guild Member

Map On the edge of a desert

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mon ame a-t-elle.jpg 
Views:	2461 
Size:	2.44 MB 
ID:	127047

Totally hand drawn imaginary map of a multi-peninsular city on the edge of a sandy desert watered by several Durance’s style rivers.

Realised in November and December 2020 in a style inspired by the 1/50,000 topographic map of France. Inks on tracing paper.

The idea of this circular city came to me during the summer of 2019, when I was staying in Pasaia, the port of Donostia (Euskadi, Spain). I was in love with the natural integration of the sea in this deep green valley where the port lies and with the maritime cityscapes resulting of this peculiar geography and I started to imagine another impossible place that would exalt these characteristics.

The toponymy consists in the verses of a french poem by my friend Philippe Despeysses. These verses guided the final composition of the map and I recognise my curiosity in the curiosity for the exterior they describe and in the aspiration they reveal my spiritual search.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	944E434E-B15C-4D79-9024-098894212D8F.jpeg 
Views:	420 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	127045  
    Last edited by Kishkindha; 12-13-2020 at 07:58 AM.

Guild Member

WoW! Don't speak the language, but LOVE the map! What an awesome take on a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

Wow! I just wish the city was a little more centered: I bet there are interesting things to see in the southeast parts of it.

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by jshoer View Post
    Wow! I just wish the city was a little more centered: I bet there are interesting things to see in the southeast parts of it.
    I understand, but that couldn’t have been an option, since the subject of this drawing is not centrality but dispersion.

Great as always. Inspiring, fantastic yet tehnical map. Plus the human, poetic approach that binds soul and territory. Beyond words...

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bretton View Post
    Great as always. Inspiring, fantastic yet tehnical map. Plus the human, poetic approach that binds soul and territory. Beyond words...
    Thanks for this kind comment !

The details look fabulous! The poem is nice and it's interesting that you integrated this totally non-cartographic mood into the piece.
    My website (commissions open)
    My LinkTree (to find me everywhere)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

What poetry! It's beautiful, both graphic and literary. And these multiple levels of reading that give so many different meanings to words, depending on whether our eye follows a road, a river, a mountain... Not to mention this completely crazy city, which we would so much like to see and visit! Magnificent!

Guild Member

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    What poetry! It's beautiful, both graphic and literary. And these multiple levels of reading that give so many different meanings to words, depending on whether our eye follows a road, a river, a mountain... Not to mention this completely crazy city, which we would so much like to see and visit! Magnificent!
    Thank you for appreciating so much my work ! Regarding the different meanings and reading levels of the poem revealed (mostly unintentionally) by the map, I found an interesting shortcut able to sum it up to its essence while transcribing the words, just like a mantra : “mon âme a-t-elle un lieu dans mon corps” (“does my soul have a place in my body”) from North to South
    My crazy cities are places my soul and my body could live in, for sure !

One more well thought and designed beautiful map to the collection .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast