Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Map Wolfdell Village Map

Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolfdell_village_final.png 
Views:	2902 
Size:	887.8 KB 
ID:	10897

Made in: Photoshop CS3 from original hand sketched pencil.

I had been meaning to post this up for a while, the finished version of Wolfdell. Thank you to all those that posted your comments and suggestions to the WIP, and special thanks to Jojo for all his help. It went from hand sketched to many, many varied techniques.

Wolfdell was the remote village that I wanted to start a 4e campaign in. I used the backdrop from my son's world in which a great hero felled a dragon of evil and enormous proportions. I thought it would be cool if the skull of that dragon had been found and then turned into an inn and tavern. Thus was born the Cutterspite's Last Rest (AKA Dragon Skull Inn). So I built a village around the inn and wanted to render it in full color in either Illustrator or Photoshop, and attempt to find some sort of style in the process.

The greatest influence as many of you might have realized, was Mike Schley. Introduced really to Schley's maps through fourth edition I was estactic that he decided to post up a map or three, and even more elated that he eloborated on his techniques. So the biggest influence was this artist and his free tips and knowledge with PS and his style of cartography. So I scrapped what I had done previously with the village and set out with a new PS file from scratch, the above which is the final product.

While I'm usually my own worst critic, I really am proud of how this turned out. As always, I couldn't have done it without the members of this board, and I thank all of you for your positive encouragement on my art. Thank you all.

Chris McDaniel
    (The Red Paladin)
    Last edited by RobA; 04-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Blog Entries

Wow that's really great ! Just like it came out of a mag. Rep heading your way. Haven't seen you about much of late - good to see you again.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Very classy, very nice. Clean, clear, and professional. Great stuff D, as always.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected delgondahntelius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    Wow that's really great ! Just like it came out of a mag. Rep heading your way. Haven't seen you about much of late - good to see you again.
    Thanks RR, I'll post something up about why I ain't been around.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Very classy, very nice. Clean, clear, and professional. Great stuff D, as always.
    Thank you very much Ascension, appreciate the compliments.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Lovely map Del. That style suits you well - I really like how this turned out.

Wow, this is absolutely great. Just love the colors.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks really great Delgo! I had pretty much forgotten all about this one, nice to see you were able to finish it.

Behold my mighty cudgel of repping and despair! ...Oh wait, rep is a good thing *bonk*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

This is a good map and just fell right into my campaigns lap more or less (as so many great maps around here do I've realised). Of course it's filled with half-crazy druids and some murderous dryads in my campaign

Nice! I love it!
    All of my work is protected by Creative Commons Licences except when noticed otherwise somewhere in the thread. Click here to see what that means.