Thread: Catacomb map spanning a whole city

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

The fonts looked better when printed on a 11x17 sheet. I did scale the resolution down before posting here.

The maps definitely line up! The green and blue circles represent open and closed entry points, and they correspond to real places on the map. For example, the blue circle that says "Tour des Mages" is right underneath the round tower on the city map. "Ferme" leads somewhere around the farms to the north and "Voie sublime" near the lower-right building that the river wraps around. I actually drew the catacombs over the city plans and deleted the latter, so I'd find it quite strange if they didn't line up.

I have not used Word in map-making (or drawing in general) for one year, so I don't think I'll ever complete Onust. I also doubt I'll ever find the drive to remake it from scratch, not when the current map works well enough for my game. Still, it's a shame I never finished it, as I spent days planning the city before even opening Word. Ah well.

The cliff texture is crumpled paper. I still think it looks great. Smart guy.

Champignons toxiques does mean "poisonous mushrooms"! Here are a few other rough highlights:

Carrefour de l'octogone: "octagon crossroads"
    Passages du claustrophile: "ways of the claustrophile"

Other words describe the many dangerous denizens, from the lowly rats to the deadly aboleth, and yet others simply indicate the state of the passage, like if it's collapsed or flooded.

The text at the right is meant to emulate standard warnings about entering potentially dangerous places at your own risks. It might lose some of its flow in translation.

Warning: entering and walking around the catacombs of Onis presents dangers that the sole possession of a plan cannot prevent. Those dangers can prove lethal because of monsters, pits, falling objects and collapses.

By entering the catacombs, you inevitably risk injuring yourself, possibly causing severe complications due to the inaccessibility of possible rescue.

These catacombs are also part of the underground heritage of Onis. They are a fragile place and contain a high number of historical and geological remnants as well as ancient indications that deserve respect.

Access to forbidden areas entails high fines.

"Onis" is the old name of the city, but those responsible for providing the maps have only changed it in the title, preserving the original text (for story reasons).

While I'm here, I might as well point to a map that features Onust and its surroundings:
    http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...5220#post55220

I don't know if a Word tutorial is worth the trouble, but I've included the Word version of both maps right here so you can see how they were done. Essentially, they involved a lot of "Edit Point" use, auto-3D manipulation and sanity-preserving macros.

And as an added bonus, have some Catacombes de Paris plans.
    http://exploration.urban.free.fr/cat...v5-zoom-us.htm

And "Les UX" sound like great, adventurous people, but my French is waaay too Canadian for that.
    Attached Files Attached Files