Thread: Isle of Annok - vector map

Map Isle of Annok - vector map

Another vector map made in Inkscape (well, as with my last couple of maps, the island shape was created in Gimp, then vectorised with Inkscape's Trace Bitmap function). Everything else is vector, though I added a parchment texture on top at the end.

This was really just a big experiment to try some different things with vector map-making, and I'm quite liking how it turned out. I had more 'stuff' on the map originally (more trees, fields of crops etc) but it was starting to look really cluttered and I felt that didn't work well with the fairly minimalist colour palette/design. So I forced myself to delete a few hours of work (sobs!) and ended up with this. Hope you like!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annok.jpg 
Views:	251 
Size:	3.52 MB 
ID:	127587
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

And another nice one, too! I really enjoy this, as I did the previous one - and again, I think it is quite a feat to make a vector map in this style to look interesting.
    Homepage | Instagram | Facebook | Artstation
    Just give me liquorice and nobody gets hurt.

Thanks, Kell! Glad you like it. It's fun to see just how far I can push Inkscape for mapping (though my PC complains sometimes!)

quirky_cartographer

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Thanks, Kell! Glad you like it. It's fun to see just how far I can push Inkscape for mapping (though my PC complains sometimes!)
    This is through Inkskape? Very nice. I like how you added the waves around the island. That is a very nice touch. Even though you had to delete a few hours of work it appears worth it and the results look great!

Not familiar with vector maps, but it's so clean, and the atmosphere is unique. I like your city names too, ChickPea, they all follow a certain choice in verbiage.

IR

Clean and nice map! I quite like the land shape and the soft colour gradient for the seas.

Quote Originally Posted by quirky_cartographer View Post
    This is through Inkskape? Very nice. I like how you added the waves around the island. That is a very nice touch. Even though you had to delete a few hours of work it appears worth it and the results look great!
    Thanks! Yes, (almost) all Inkscape. I made a decision a few months back to give up my sorry attempts at hand-drawing and went all in on vector, and feel a lot happier for it. The coastal rings are very simple to do, and I think they worked quite well here with the way they fade into white, along with the sea colour.

Quote Originally Posted by Adfor View Post
    Not familiar with vector maps, but it's so clean, and the atmosphere is unique. I like your city names too, ChickPea, they all follow a certain choice in verbiage.

IR
    Thanks!

The names were computer generated via a (very simple) neural network. I fed it a list of Scottish place names and these are some of the names it generated. (I wrote about this very briefly here).

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    A fine map!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Clean and nice map! I quite like the land shape and the soft colour gradient for the seas.
    Thanks! Glad you like it.