Thread: The Lost Orrery

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Map The Lost Orrery

This was for the swamp challenge in 2020.

I had quite a lot of fun figuring this one out. Swamp maps are not that common, so it was a real interesting challenge at times.
    What solar system to base it on was also a bit of a headscratcher, but in the end Pathfinder's solar system had enough to go on to go a bit into details of each planet. Though, I still kept it relatively simple. Maybe going forward I'll make it rules neutral.

The trees were actually quite fun to pursue. Though the shadows did prove even more tricky as without them it just looked like a bunch of stumps. But it ended up coming out good, so yays!

A little story,

It's been days on this boat, and sometimes our only companion besides our sore muscles is the creaking of the wood and the taps of the oar poles. Yet, I'd take this over the chaos happening outside the marsh where hope has been in extremely short supply. I only hope the rumors of ruins in this infuriating place is true. We need somewhere to regroup, and maybe just maybe it would give us time to find a way to shift the war that has become so dark as of late.
    A shout and a nervous whimper shatters the silence.
    Our translator listens to our guides, and only says that people have gone missing here, we have to go back. But, I lift my hand and remind them, back means dying in that war. We have to find something new. As the words leave my mouth, a gap in the trees reveal ancient ruins. A big dome of stone, overgrown by roots and brush stand as a testament of time. Whoever built this, built it to last. Again my voice break the silence, "Send some scouts, see if the area is safe. If so, this is our new home. We have little other choice until we can find something to fight back with."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The_Lost_Orrery_Small_PF_.jpeg 
Views:	101 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	127877

I'd be happy to discuss it below.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Somewhere dark and rather dangerous...and also inhabited by these confounded mosquitoes.

Awesome map. I am wondering what the stones/planetary configuration mean. I always enjoy the stories behind the maps. Love the verse, by the way. Very true.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Hehe tx!
    To be honest, my main goal for this map was setting up an adventure, be it the start or later on in. And when I thought of doing the Orrery I just had to pursue a mysterious route. Though I have not fully thought out the standing stones, I do feel it would be something big that waited at the end. Let's say a secret long forgotten.

And yeah, it is a good verse.
    Have a nice day,
    Omri

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19