Thread: First Timer Continent Map

Wip First Timer Continent Map

Hello!
    I've never drawn a map before but decided I needed one to keep a story I'm working on coherent. I do not intend to share this map with the reader, it's just to keep things straight with myself.
    As this is my first time, I just wanted to know if the continent I have created is consistent.
    The continent connects to the ice cap at the upper left which also connects to a much larger southern continent which is not part of the story. The story focuses on a human-like species that evolves and creates various societies and nations on the northern continent depicted here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ink Map 4.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.76 MB 
ID:	128047
    Thank you so much for taking a look, all feedback is appreciated!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Well done for you first map

I always start reviewing maps with my "river police" helmet on. You have one glaring example to the right-ish, there are two rivers that empty to the sea in the south, but they're tangled together with two sources. Rivers are like trees, they have one mouth (deltas can have multiple meanders but that's a different thing), and spread like branches into higher ground. You also have a lot of rivers starting very close to the sea and flowing inland, and sometimes between mountains. That can happen in nature but it's unusual.

You have mountains dotted all over the place, and mountains right by the sea. Again this does happen, but it's unusual. Land tends to naturally slope from low to high rather than being all flat with random peaks poking up out of the ground.

I'd advise you to have a play around with Google Maps or Google Earth and see how natural terrain is shaped.
    Last edited by Robulous; 02-04-2021 at 07:27 AM.

Wip

Very helpful and kindly put!

I messed around with the rivers and mountains until arriving at something that is hopefully a bit more realistic!

Name:	Ink Map 5.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	128223

In the process, I looked up plate tectonics and made some crude ones, then removed features that were inconsistent with those plates (both images have the same mountains and such, just clarifying how I got there .

Name:	Ink Map 5 Plates.png 
Views:	15 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	128224

Thank you so much for the feedback! I think and hope it has moved me in the right direction!