Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Antiquarian Maps and Atlases

Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminGPointer View Post
    This one came in recently and I just had to share it! It's from 1532 and, aside from being beautiful, is really interesting. It's not the kind of projection I would expect from this early, focusing on the poles, and even though it shows the Americas as genuinely the "West Indies" with Florida just along the coast from Catay, and the shape of Scandinavia is clearly still a mystery to the cartographer, it shows Antarctica complete with the larger and smaller landmasses (although it would need to be rotated for them to be in the right place). I just thought it was really cool!

Attachment 128298
    Stunning map!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Stunning map!
    You too can have one for only $54 500 ( https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/det...t-edition-fine ).

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Arimel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    You too can have one for only $54 500 ( https://www.raremaps.com/gallery/det...t-edition-fine ).
    What a bargain! If only I had that much free cash lying around .

Really amazing maps here though (thanks for sharing them!). They are giving me tons of inspiration.
    I like how the map of Lima(?) had fields on the interior of the walls. That is not something that we see on maps around here usually and I wonder how common it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    I like how the map of Lima(?) had fields on the interior of the walls. That is not something that we see on maps around here usually and I wonder how common it used to be.
    I hadn't noticed that, I'll have to keep an eye out. Maybe there's some difference between planned cities and ones that just grow and find they need a wall.

The purpose of walls varies. If you're trying to protect your agriculture from marauders (human and otherwise), you'll want to put walls around your fields if you can afford it. If you want to protect your people, walls will be around the storehouses, dwelling places, and water source. If you expect fairly prompt relief from a siege, you can have smaller walled areas. Frequent or lengthy sieges would probably tend toward more area enclosed (again, if you can afford it). Type of wall will also vary, as massive and high stone walls are intended to guard against people and inspire awe; natural things like deer or predators can usually be fended off with something like simple palisades. Earthworks are always important, because it's a cheap way to get both a defensive ditch and higher ground with the same effort.

I'm not trying to be annoying about your thread, BenjaminGPointer, but you keep showing thing that happen to hit on my fairly limited interest and knowledge range.

Quote Originally Posted by Arimel View Post
    That is not something that we see on maps around here usually and I wonder how common it used to be.
    Every impression I have is that it was extremely common for new walls to allow a lot of room between the buildings and the fortifications (or at least a lot of open space, since ancient walls the buildings were often built against the wall with a big center space), both because having fields inside is useful, but also because walls are expensive to build so they want to allow for expansion without having to rebuild walls all the time.

The reason I have that impression is due to historical maps more often than not including fields and also archeological maps and reconstructions I've seen. The exceptions are usually due to original function, limited space, and age of the settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    I'm not trying to be annoying about your thread, BenjaminGPointer, but you keep showing thing that happen to hit on my fairly limited interest and knowledge range.
    No worries Waldronate, I guess talking about maps on a cartography forum has that effect!

Oops, been a couple of weeks since I posted. For a bit of a change I thought I'd upload some architectural plans. They're kind of like maps
    Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture of the title page, so I can't give you the details of the book. The plans show two buildings, each showing the ground floor and first floor (or 1st and 2nd floors depending which system you use), cross section, and a view of the outside of the building.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	608.0 KB 
ID:	128753Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	128754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	630.8 KB 
ID:	128755Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Size:	3.75 MB 
ID:	128756Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	128757Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	128758Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.45 MB 
ID:	128759Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	3.68 MB 
ID:	128760

PS apologies for the sideways picture, I don't know why it's like that, it's the right way up on my computer...

Blog Entries

Hey they are nice. They definitely are maps and isnt it odd how the maps we generally make here on the guild dont look a lot like real architectural maps. One of the things were all generally pretty poor at is showing the wall thicknesses. When I used to go around the old castles like Harlech or even your Ludlow one, I usually bought the guide book because it had the map in it and I could drool over it later (that and those super cut away slices of the castle towers...). But the walls are so thick on castles and the rooms are rarely square. They got a lot squarer by these victorian times.

I was in a tiny village book shop a few years back and picked up this old 2nd hand copy which was more like a folder than a book and it had loads of maps a lot like this with the black and white plans in it. But instead of buildings it was old (18th C ish) plans of village layouts. I wish I had bought the book now but it was not the cheapest thing for something with barely any words in it but I wondered if you knew of a similar book ? What I am insterested in is to have black and white layouts of villages so that it might be possible to train some AI to generate them more realistically than we generally do here. A lot of our villages look like modern cities. We have a lot of posts where the roof tops change colour in sectors of a town which is highly unusual to say the least and many more where we have straight roads and almost 5th Avenue type of planning with them. Sort of more like captial city planning than medieval village life. I was quite interested in the idea of mapping with economics where people might extend a house rather than make a new one. You dont find too many exclusively detatched bungalow villages in the real world like we see a lot here. And we see them here a lot because they are easier to draw. It would be a good exercise to try and write an app which keeps extending existing buildings (with lowest cost) to make the map rather than plonking down fresh buildings.

Oh yes, you asked about why some of the images are sideways.

When you take the photo you have a hand held camera (often a phone) which has a sensor in it which knows about orientation. So when you hold it sideways to take the photo and then hold the phone back up the right way the image looks correct but in the image has meta data holding a lot of extra information such as the date, location it was taken from, shutter speed and in our case the orientation.

When you display the photo on the phone it orientates correctly for viewing but the image was actually stored in camera sensor origin. So when we get it I think we ignore all the meta data and just make a thumbnail out of it. Hence it looks the way up it was taken originally. If you had these sheets of paper on a table and held the phone / camera pointing down then the orientation sensor can get confused about which way is up.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 03-07-2021 at 09:39 AM.

I can't say I know of any particular books, but the folder you mentioned could have been something like the deeds or survey of an estate? Usually when I've seen them they've been mostly land with a few houses, but concievably it could include villages, and it would be useful to know which houses paid you rent!
    There are some archaeological village plans which might be what you're looking for, but often they're the ancient stone "cities" of the mediterranean and middle-east, rather than medieval villages. From the pictures of reconstructions I've seen the building materials particularly influence whether new houses are built or old ones extended. Stone houses generally get extended into blocks or terraces, wooden ones seem to be built detached, whether it's the luxury of space or fear of fire I don't know.
    I did come across this: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...asy-Floorplans although I don't know how good it is.

Thinking about maps showing the thickness of the walls always reminds me of the Skara Brae maps, which I always liked https://www.orkneyology.com/images/S...floor-plan.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast