Thread: Hi there, nice to meet crazy folks like you all!

Default Hi there, nice to meet crazy folks like you all!

Hi everyone!

I'm Skaald! I come from the kingdom of France, so I'm already apologizing for my could-be-worse-but-also-not-so-very-good-english!

I discovered some month ago that my passion for drawing maps for role-playing could be turned in something very nice in term of house decoration. So I began to draw maps of imaginary places, and I found your forum, and it's stunning to see all the beautiful work you people had made!

For know, the only thing I can draw quite properly is lines. And mountains to, I'm quite proud of my mountains. But more complicated things like well everything end up in poorly assembled lines. I'm eager to upgrade my skills anyway!

As soon as I will understand how to add a picture in my posts, I will show you the little bit of work I had done since I've started, in December. I'll love to read your reactions! For know, I'm copying some work I've seen here and there (And I'll pay my tribute to the real artist at the source of my inspiration).

Hi Skaald, welcome to the Guild!

Your English is fine! There are lots of French speakers at the Guild, so if you're struggling with English words, someone will be able to help or translate for you.

Looking forward to seeing some of your maps. There are instructions here on how to upload pictures.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Welcome to the guild!

Hi everybody,

A glimpse of my early works. I first tried to make some little maps to test my skills and improve them a bit. This is A4 format.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210202_232427.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.87 MB 
ID:	128276Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210125_152506.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	128277

And this is my firsts large works ! (70cmx50)

The first is the map of the Isles as featured in the Dishonored serie. I basically just coppied the official art that I found on the wiki dedicated.

It's only pen and black ink. It's not completly over, I want to add meridian and parralel lines, a scale on the right and bottom, and I don't knwo how to make city symbols looking good.

Some friends came home last weekend so I tried to impress them by putting my not totaly finished work in a frame. (Plot twist : they couldn't care less about my map. I was disappointed)

Name:	IMG_20210130_185600.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	128275

The second one is far from finished. I'm trying to do a map of Earthsea from the well-known books. I'm trying to do in the same style as this one : https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca88...5Qa3bd-QBTOcsk

I'm just there for now :

Name:	IMG_20210204_211118.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	128278
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dishonored.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	3.54 MB 
ID:	128274  

Hello and welcome to the guild! Looking forward to seeing your maps and those mountains and don't worry too much about your English, it seems perfectly fine and understandable.

Welcome!

Lovely maps! I've started maps of the islands the last months, fun to see a map of the whole Empire .

Bonjour!

Welcome to the Guild, and thanks for sharing some of your maps! I really like the style of your coastlines and the layout of the continents on some of your maps. I definitely look forward to seeing more and getting to know you. There's actually quite a few cartographers around here from France. Must be something in the water

Happy Mapping!
    - Josh