Thanks Kellerica and Falconius for your input!

@Kellerica
I fully understand where you're coming from in reference to keeping the works less taxing on both the hardware and mind... certainly doesn't help a project to burn out in the process of trying to make it. In this particular case, the map/s in question are built upon a vector image that is then used as a mask, with the textures and everything else being added after. It helps with the process you mentioned of trying different styles by giving me something less resource intensive to use as a quick base when testing textures/colors/brushes/text just to get a general idea of what may work or not going forward. A map of this scale I feel is currently needed only because of the process I use of jumping between the writing, art, and plot creation that I have to cycle between to keep everything properly connected. It's helped with the story creation to be able to quickly reference the entire world when keeping track of the timelines of events and travel, as well as develop/track the Geo-political events that eventually encompass everything by the end of the story. I was lax to forget mentioning that the maps posted as examples were made years ago and were just meant to be 'good-enough' to use as practice, work-flow planning, and reference material as I cycled back to story creation mode. I very much appreciate giving your own experience as reference, thanks.

@Falconius
As with Kellerica's advice, I find yours great as well. I didn't want to bloat my first post with verbose backstory on the work and in leaving info out I can see where I left red flags that would be concerning. Your advice in particular about leaving things open to the change that can happen with time is something I've found myself giving to any of my friends when they start creative works, so I appreciate you taking the time to note that. The story project these maps are for is something I've been already working on for over a decade and also something I'm fortunate enough to know I want to spend my life on. As cool as it might be to get stuff published, the entire project is a lifelong pursuit in seeing how in-depth a world/characters/story I can make in one lifetime. The vector image base I use for the map luckily helps with your advice in using an outline to then create a more interesting detailed map, and I'm using it currently due to having at least finalized the general locations and names of the continents, if not the exact shapes. The need to make the map work in a zoom-able way simple stems from my interest in making a google-earth style interactive map for my own fun using some CSS, HTML, and Javascript.

Again, thank you both for your input. The thoughts, experiences, and techniques you both shared are the kinds of things I feel everyone working on this or similar works should definitely keep in mind. I think this particular project is something simply as odd as I am and the nature of it luckily doesn't give many time-constraints to worry about, so I hope describing it a bit more as I have will help give some peace of mind in regards to whether I'm risking my sanity in trying to work on it in such as way.

I hope you both have a great day and thanks for taking the time to reply!