Don, thanks for the note.

I used Fractal Terrains to get a coastline I liked, then imported it into Illustrator and copied it out with the Pen Tool. Next, I drew the rivers in Illustrator. Then I imported the separate layers into Photoshop. My biggest issue is that I don't want to give up my coastline. I've tried the Render-Clouds-and-Emboss trick, but while that gives a certain texture to my landmass, it isn't specific enough for mountain ranges. I'm marginally familiar with Terragen, which I adore, but I don't believe it allows me to import my coastline. I'm pretty sure I can do it in Bryce (with which I'm less familiar) but I'm not really sure how. I was thinking of going back into Illustrator and drawing the mountains by hand in the closest thing to a relief texture that I can do, then hoping it comes out right...but I don't have a lot of faith in my artistic abilities.

I checked out World Machine, which seems to be a lot like Terragen--thanks for the link! I'd also previously scoured the shaded relief site, too. Some nice info there, but the site seems to be predicated upon already having an elevation model at hand to work with. I need, first off, to create that data for my world--and I'm not crazy about cutting and pasting from a real-world example.

As always, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

-Greg