Thread: Golem Cave Battlemap WIP

Wip Golem Cave Battlemap WIP

Hi all

One of the first battlemaps I ever created was this Golem Cave for a D&D campaign. Meant for a boss battle (bottom image). Just look at how sloppy the line-work is, uugh!

Anyway, I decided to re-do this map and tried throwing away my crutch of using line-art and instead tried only using paint.

This is where I am at so far, still a work in progress. Any suggestions for anything that isn't working? All feedback welcome.

How is the lighting looking? Flat or engaging? I'll need to make the black crystals more distinct. Shadows should make objects pop more as well. Adding in the torch light sources will be interesting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Golem-RuinsV2.png 
Views:	81 
Size:	3.57 MB 
ID:	128417

Name:	golem-ruins.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	128418
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 02-17-2021 at 06:21 AM.

Guild Expert Facebook Connected XCali's Avatar

Well, I find it highly interesting that you want to go away from lineart. Still, I commend you for taking up the challenge.

One thing I'll start with, I feel the shadows are kind of odd so far. The thing with it that stands out the most is the brightish line right next to the wall shadows. (To be fair, if it was the highlight of light catching the stone from your light source it would probably not look weird, but you have this uniform brightish line all the way around the inside of your wall and thus the bit of weirdness.) I think a uniform shadow might offset it a bit, eg, instead of splotches for the wall shadow create a more consistent cast shadow for them and to spice it up a bit more add small darker core shadows to corners where light is less likely to hit.

Pick your light sources and then start deciding where light will hit or not hit.

If you have any questions on what I am on about, please feel free to ask

P.S.
    The furniture is coming along nicely!
    Last edited by XCali; 02-17-2021 at 10:57 AM.

~ Maps-DriveThruRPG ~Free Maps and Assets ~Current Project~

My web novels
    Instagram handle: instagram.com/omrihope
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~The heavens declare the glory of God;
    the skies proclaim the work of His hands.
    Day after day they pour forth speech;
    night after night they reveal knowledge.
    ~ Psalm 19

Really like it so far. At times I've turned off the linework on my maps and I've really loved how they look. I really love maps that forgo linework and I would like to dabble in it more myself. Looks really great, looking forward to watching it develop

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Quote Originally Posted by XCali View Post
    Well, I find it highly interesting that you want to go away from lineart. Still, I commend you for taking up the challenge.
    Long overdue. I was afraid to try it for the longest while lol.

One thing I'll start with, I feel the shadows are kind of odd so far. The thing with it that stands out the most is the brightish line right next to the wall shadows.
    This was more of a graphic design choice as the solid colour wall didn't have a good enough contrast with the shadows. I'll do away with it as I shouldn't need it, if I detail the wall more and add darker core shadows as you suggest.

Pick your light sources and then start deciding where light will hit or not hit.

If you have any questions on what I am on about, please feel free to ask
    I'll add the torches and properly decide where the light will hit and work from there, no doubt I will have some questions thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Josiah VE View Post
    Really like it so far. At times I've turned off the linework on my maps and I've really loved how they look. I really love maps that forgo linework and I would like to dabble in it more myself. Looks really great, looking forward to watching it develop
    Thank you. That's funny you have also stuck to mainly linework, this may be more of a common thing? I thought it was just me. I feel like my linework has gotten quite good, mainly because I've been afraid to take a leap and do a more painterly style lol. So, stepping out of the comfort zone is a great way to grow. And I'm surprised that I like how the furniture is shaping up so far despite my un-refined painting skills.
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 02-19-2021 at 07:09 AM.

Update 1

So I was having a lot of trouble trying to place light and shadow effects over my painted flagstones as the results were flat and dull. I finally realised I had to paint in my shadow and torchlight colours onto the flagstones, rather than trying to manipulate the colours on separate layers. This way I have more control over the colours and can choose a much more vibrant palette.

So I started from scratch on a (hopefully) more vibrant version with much more atmosphere. A step in the right direction I think at least.

Name:	Golem-Ruins-Moody.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.05 MB 
ID:	128496

Much more atmospheric. I like it! Good direction.

My web novels
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~ Psalm 19

Much more atmospheric. I like it! Good direction.
    Thank you, I'm pushing myself out of my comfort zone with colours so I've no idea how this will turn out. The furniture may well become a mess of ill-fitting colours. Also enjoying it

Name:	Golem-Ruins-Moody2.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	3.21 MB 
ID:	128536

Some more progress, I've made the walls less stark and more of the blueish cave colour. Added some shade and highlights to the flagstones, plus some red hues to the lighting. I hope the flagstones aren't too vibrant as it may take away from any objects of interest around the map.

The Stone pillar came out well, with the black crystals.
    Last edited by TimetoDraw; 02-23-2021 at 04:26 AM.

Next update. Some refining to the lighting colours and adding some detail to the wood tables.

Name:	Golem-Ruins-Moody3.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	3.24 MB 
ID:	128559

I'm loving it.

My web novels
    ~ Psalm 19